PDA

View Full Version : new tank, new discus

slp
02-07-2015, 01:36 PM
I just tested the water in my new tank. All the tests show good. Discus ordered from hans. Now, should I do a water change before putting the fish in the tank? It has been about 2 +weeks since set up.

Thanks
steve

discuspaul
02-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Welcome to Simply, Steve.
Is your tank cycled, Steve, and if so, how did you cycle it ? Did you use some seeded material from an established set-up, and have kept up the supply of ammonia needed by the bacteria to survive ?.
I hope so, otherwise it could well be that you are not cycled.
(You said all the tests show good - does that mean '0' for each of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates ? - sounds like an uncycled situation after only 2 weeks since set-up.)

If that's the case, you'll need to do large daily wcs once you get the Hans discus to keep the tank free of ammonia & nitrites until a bacterial colony is established within your filtration system & elsewhere - that could take up to 6 weeks or more.

Just trying to help - forgive me if I'm off base with your cycling - but on the surface it sounds like it.
It would be very helpful to know details of your set-up - size of tank, how outfitted, number of discus ordered and their size.
We're very glad to have you on board, but you've posted with limited information, and it's brevity is concerning to all those of us who would not wish to see you lose expensive discus due to limited knowledge as to their care & needs.

slp
02-07-2015, 02:44 PM
I did test for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. All are 0 according to my APT test kit. I did use seeding material. My tank is 75 gal. Fluval 406 filter, 300 watt heater ( water is 83 degrees), 2ea. 12 inch airstones. 8 -2 1/2 to 3 +inch discus Ordered from hans.
I agree that I don't want to do anything to loose fish. I have read simply extensively and think I have followed the advise of the majority of the posters. There are some conflicting ideas here but I have tried to pick out what seems to work for others. I am set up to do frequent water changes.
any and all advise is welcome. Sorry if I don't give enough information or explain things with enough detail. Usually I give to much information. Like some others, sometimes I think that everyone knows what I am talking about because I de.

Thanks
Steve

mbruizer187
02-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Think, with all your readings being zero, you in fact have an uncycled tank on your hands, which from what I have gathered is not good for any fish, let alone discus. What did you use to add ammonia to your water to seed the bacteria for the nitrogen cycle.

Thanks,
Rich

discuspaul
02-07-2015, 04:50 PM
I still agree with what Rich has repeated about your tank not being cycled yet.
What seeding material did you actually use - how much of it, where did you get it from, and did you continually add ammonia over the past 2 weeks to keep the bacteria alive & performing ? The red flag here is that you register no nitrates whatsoever - if your tank were cycled - you should likely have at least some traces of it.

Please test your water daily from here on in, for the next while, and do significant water changes if you note any signs of ammonia presence.

slp
02-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the information. I was planning on doing frequent water changes. I guess I will do more now. The fish are supposed to be here tomorrow or the next day, so I don't have time to start over. I will keep a close eye on it and if necessary will do several water changes each day. When reading simply, I missed the part about putting ammonia in the water. I used some bacteria balls that came with the bio media (biohome) that is supposed to help start the bacteria colony. Any suggestions on anything else I can do.

Steve

discuspaul
02-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Concurrent with getting your discus, it would help to add some seeded material obtained from an established and trusted healthy source - like a sponge filter, or just a sponge - but the source is all important - if there is any doubt as to whether or not the discus may get contamination from the material - don't do it.
The ideal would have been to ask Hans to send along a seeded sponge filter with your fish order.