PDA

View Full Version : Ant invasion in fish food...what to do???

dkeef
02-07-2015, 07:57 PM
one day i forgot to close the container for the fish food which was freeze dried mealworms.
http://www.amazon.com/Tasty-Worms-Freeze-Mealworms-Approximately/dp/B00L5PAZEA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423352342&sr=8-3&keywords=freeze+dried+mealworms

and ants covered all inside it. so i zipped up cover and ones inside suffocated and died. at this point ants and food are all mixed together. i still got most of it left. would u use it or toss it?

manbearpig
02-07-2015, 08:04 PM
If it were me I would toss it. I have over 1,000.00 worth of fish sitting in my tank and any risk no matter how small would be worth saving 20-50 worth of food. Write it off as a lesson learned and get new food.

Andy27012
02-07-2015, 08:09 PM
I would toss it. At the end of the day is it worth losing all of your stock over 20 bucks? For me, no.

William Palumbo
02-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Ants are protein. Discus would eat ants in the wild before flakes or freeze-dried foods. I would feed myself...Bill

Andy27012
02-07-2015, 09:31 PM
I would be leery of doing so, while insects are a natural food item for discus it is very possible that they have been exposed to low level pesticides. I.e. Termite treatment, yard treatment, neighbor getting their house sprayed. All aquatic and avian life is hypersensitive to pesticides to the point where most pest control companies make you plasti wrap your tank prior to even spraying the floor boards. As a ex pest controller and trainer, I have seen more fish tanks killed by over spray then I ever wanted to.

Ants are protein. Discus would eat ants in the wild before flakes or freeze-dried foods. I would feed myself...Bill