PDA

View Full Version : ph killing fish?

a.person61
02-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Hello,
My ph is way to high about 7.4 from the tap and the tank is a little higher. I'm going to start aging my water and was wondering if adding one of those substrates that set the pH level to the bottom of the barrel would be a good idea. Haven't made much luck with driftwood. Thanks

Len
02-08-2015, 07:38 PM
It's unlikely your pH is causing problems you may be seeing, but without more information it isn't possible for anyone here to offer any advice/assistance. In answer to your question, though -- no, it isn't advisable to use anything to alter your pH. Work with the water you have. Chasing a particular pH value will usually end in disaster.

a.person61
02-08-2015, 07:48 PM
What more info do you need?
Tank is in cycling stages, there was ammonia when I tested water about 0.25 did a water change after.
I'm more worried about adding rocks, I brought some river rocks and smooth pebbles yesterday and I'm worried they will rise the pH even more.

Bill63SG
02-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Also unless your doing wilds 7.4 is fine for discus. I haven't checked mine in years but it wS right around that when I did and I'm able to breed discus in it. You may want to read a little more on this site about ph. Consist cy is much more important then trying to hit a certain number. Messing with buffers makes it pretty hard to be consistent.

ericNH
02-08-2015, 08:11 PM
I also doubt your pH is the issue. Discus can be fine in pH even up to 8.

Second Hand Pat
02-08-2015, 08:18 PM
Hello,
My ph is way to high about 7.4 from the tap and the tank is a little higher. I'm going to start aging my water and was wondering if adding one of those substrates that set the pH level to the bottom of the barrel would be a good idea. Haven't made much luck with driftwood. Thanks

Maybe it is the ammonia that is killing fish vs ph. Are you are cycling your tank with fish?

a.person61
02-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Maybe it is the ammonia that is killing fish vs ph. Are you are cycling your tank with fish?

I am cycling with fish