PDA

View Full Version : Not to buy ?

Reesj
02-10-2015, 05:37 AM
From the discus for beginners thread "what not to buy" it says fish with a dent in head and deformed look is really bad! They will most probably badly cared and will be stunted which seems really good advice!

Anyway I have been browsing fish for sale and came across this fish(in a breeding pair)! female I presume have bad shape as you guys can see and looked deformed and bad colours in fins!
Anyway what surprised me is that they are a breeding pair and their size! They are huge discus! At least as advertised!
http://ikman.lk/en/discus-breeding-pair-for-sale-colombo-10
The female that seemed to have a deformed look is advertised as 22cm (8.66 inches) and male 24cm (9.4inches)
What do you guys think ?

DISCUS STU
02-10-2015, 05:34 PM
This isn't a deformed Discus it's just not a perfectly shaped fish. Ideally a Discus should be just that; as perfectly round and symmetrical as possible, but this doesn't look to be a bad or unhealthy fish, it's just not perfect. The male looks like it conforms to the ideals that you're discussing though at 24 cm (9.44 inches) it seems like a little bit of extra sales hype is being employed here.

The pictures leave a little to be desired. Not very good quality.

I could be wrong but it looks to be about $108 for the pair. Not a bad price.

rickztahone
02-10-2015, 06:20 PM
9.44 inches is a whopper of a discus, I do not believe that is it there. However, that isn't a stunted discus.

DISCUS STU
02-11-2015, 01:37 PM
I'd be skeptical to say the least. 9.4" inches?! What size to Discus max. out at? This doesn't seem realistic.

Reesj
02-12-2015, 12:48 PM
I'd be skeptical to say the least. 9.4" inches?! What size to Discus max. out at? This doesn't seem realistic.

Yes 9.4inches seems unreal as I have never seen with prof any discus above 9 inches even! Although looking at the discus you can tell that the male is a very big discus! I'm not really hoping to buy though as mostly trying to fit stuff in to my planted tank than but breeding pairs:)

rickztahone
02-14-2015, 09:59 PM
Yes 9.4inches seems unreal as I have never seen with prof any discus above 9 inches even! Although looking at the discus you can tell that the male is a very big discus! I'm not really hoping to buy though as mostly trying to fit stuff in to my planted tank than but breeding pairs:)

I believe the largest I've ever seen was an 8" whopper as well and that was by one of our members recently I believe with a tape measure.