PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on tank setup

Braydon00
02-10-2015, 02:01 PM
I know most say not to grow discus in a planted tank....I agree its not the smartest way to go unless large water changes are done often. Looking to see what everyone's opinions are. 50% WC every other day, I would do more but I don't have the time. Discus are growing very well from 3'' when I bought them in early November and are now around 4.5''. Ive posted this in a different thread, just want advice/opinions. Thanks!

discuspaul
02-10-2015, 02:18 PM
As they're now 4.5" is seems you have been doing a good job up to now. At the size they are now, 50% water changes every 2nd day should be quite acceptable.
You mentioned having posted this same thing in another thread - We'd appreciate your avoiding duplication of posts in future.

Braydon00
02-10-2015, 02:40 PM
I posted only the picture for an update for a new light.

rickztahone
02-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Braydon, I think you are doing a fine job. One of the reasons I believe you are being successful is the fact that your planted scheme isn't too dense. In this manner, you can still get to the hard to reach places that a fully planted tank makes almost impossible to get to. I really like your setup, and would encourage others to emmulate you in the approach that less CAN be more in a planted tank. The background makes it seem more dense than it is. Overall, great tank. I thank you for sharing it with us.

P.S. have you done any nitrAte tests to see where they stand in your current setup? I'd be curious with your current WC regimen

DiscusRob
02-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Me too, as I thinking something along the same lines.

tmtplyb
02-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Braydon00

Your tank look awesome, can you tell me your tank size and how many discuses fish do you have in there? I have a 55gallons tank. I will have to do 30-50% WC every other day.

Thanks

discuspaul
02-10-2015, 08:48 PM
I posted only the picture for an update for a new light.

Ok - Fine then - Apologies. It just sounded like you had duplicated the thread about the same thing.

Braydon00
02-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Braydon, I think you are doing a fine job. One of the reasons I believe you are being successful is the fact that your planted scheme isn't too dense. In this manner, you can still get to the hard to reach places that a fully planted tank makes almost impossible to get to. I really like your setup, and would encourage others to emmulate you in the approach that less CAN be more in a planted tank. The background makes it seem more dense than it is. Overall, great tank. I thank you for sharing it with us.

P.S. have you done any nitrAte tests to see where they stand in your current setup? I'd be curious with your current WC regimen

Thanks! I appreciate the complements! The nitrates are usually 5ppm +or-2ppm right before I do a WC.

Braydon00
02-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Braydon00

Your tank look awesome, can you tell me your tank size and how many discuses fish do you have in there? I have a 55gallons tank. I will have to do 30-50% WC every other day.

Thanks

Thanks for the complement! Its a standard 90 gal. I have 8 discus all range 3.5-4.5". The picture was taken right after a water change so some were still hiding. I also have 8 Corys, 4 siamese algae eaters (moving soon), and 2 rams with them. In reality I should be doing the water changes everyday, I just don't have the time or RO water for such frequent changes haha. Yes, Ive been doing 50% every other day since December and the discus are growing just fine. The plants are even doing well, haven't had any issues with any of them.