PDA

View Full Version : need some experiences about keeping discus!!

haile161
02-11-2015, 12:41 AM
i currently have 9 discus in 60 gallon tank, but they don't really like each others especially when I feed (dried black worms, flake, tetra color, and home made beef heart) them. they are doing okay but after W/C (tap water + API conditioner), they always hide and scare, then they become normal after few hours. what is the best food for them? how many time should i do W/C weekly? and many else questions..i really need some advice. thanks! Hai

sdrexler078
02-11-2015, 12:48 AM
How big are the fish and is the tank bare bottom or planted. You should do at least 50% changes a day. How long have you had them and are there any other fish in the tank? We need more info. Go to the disease section and find the questionnaire to fill out. It will help us answer your questions

haile161
02-11-2015, 01:03 AM
3 biggest fish about 4,5 inches from last shipment, the others from 3 to 3,5 inches from 3 to 4 months. their tank mates are only a group of neon tetras. they all living in planted tank with white sand. do i need to do W/C every day even though the water is clear? what is the best food and how many time should i feed them a day?

sdrexler078
02-11-2015, 01:21 AM
I feed mine beefheart mix 2 times a day but heavily and then suck out any left over. but I have barebottom tanks. Planted tanks are harder to keep clean especially with juveniles and their feeding and need for clean water. Read some of the stickies in the beginner section they will help a lot with learning about discus.

sdrexler078
02-11-2015, 01:22 AM
And just because the water looks good doesn't mean it is always good. There's dissolved waste in there too water changes remove that and restore nutrients

che1615
02-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Do daily water changes and your choice of food is fine. As far as them hiding after water changes that should change after increasing water changes. But since they are in a planted tank they might continue to hide.