PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Discuses 6 times a day

tmtplyb
02-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Ok I heard a lots about feeding your Discuses at least 6 times a day. so I guess a lots of pp on this forum used Automatic feeder while they are at work in the day time? I am curious how it done!

Thanks

John_Nicholson
02-12-2015, 09:58 AM
No need for that. In fact it is one of the reason most people mess up their fish. Uneaten food can really screw up your water quality. I have fed a beef heart mix to my discus for 20+ years twice a day. I grow large fish and have large spawns.

-john

tmtplyb
02-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Wow Really! John you ROCK :) I worked 9-5 feeding twice a day sound very reasonable. Thanks

jmf3460
02-12-2015, 10:42 AM
I do have an automatic feeder to feed once while at work, but its because I do light feedings in the evening. OP the plural of discus is discus. Kind of like the word "deer", wasn't picking on you just so you know.

haile161
02-14-2015, 02:20 AM
No need for that. In fact it is one of the reason most people mess up their fish. Uneaten food can really screw up your water quality. I have fed a beef heart mix to my discus for 20+ years twice a day. I grow large fish and have large spawns.

-john

hi john, do you feed your discus by home made BH or ordered from somewhere? what is best food you would recommended?

rickztahone
02-14-2015, 03:44 AM
hi john, do you feed your discus by home made BH or ordered from somewhere? what is best food you would recommended?
John feeds his home made beef heart. I would link to his recipe but I'm on my phone. Check out his profile though

DISCUS STU
02-14-2015, 10:27 AM
6x a day isn't necessary for growing fish. A good high protein food twice a day is fine. Most fish don't get sick from being underfed, usually it's from tanks being overfed and the resulting poor water quality. For Discus the water can never be clean enough.

John_Nicholson
02-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Yes there is a thread on here about how I make my BH mix. I would search it out for you but my internet is pretty slow from here at the house.

-john

Wes
02-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Yes there is a thread on here about how I make my BH mix. I would search it out for you but my internet is pretty slow from here at the house.

-john

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?110292-How-I-make-beef-heart

phorty
02-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Interesting, I've been feeding my 4" guys 3 to 4 times each day and getting good results. Once in the morning around 7am before I leave for work. Then 2 or 3 times between 6pm and 11pm after I'm home.

Rudustin
02-17-2015, 08:49 PM
I feed twice a day and that's it.

blueluv
02-17-2015, 09:18 PM
I feed twice a day and that's it.

What do you feed them in the morning ?

John_Nicholson
02-18-2015, 12:10 AM
BH in the morning followed by BH in the evening.

-john

tmtplyb
02-18-2015, 11:48 AM
I liked your schedule John! Twice a day good enough for me kool!

brewmaster15
02-18-2015, 12:06 PM
6 X a day isn't a magic number, but smaller multiple feeding several times a day is a good idea for those that can do it. Its spreads out the nutrition available to the fish, and is in line with what a fish like a discus might do during the day in the wild. When raising juvies to adults, 3 -4 times a day is what I shoot for and always have.. Sometimes I feed more sometimes less. Juvenile fish have higher metabolism and growth needs so need more food than adults would. Adults can get 1 -2 times a day no problem. My advice is if you are raising juveniles to adults. Feed them a reasonable amount each feeding..it should be gone in 15 mins or less. feed in am, feed when you get home from work, and then feed at night an hour before lights out. Having lights on timers helps. Auto feeders are fine if you can't be around, but I don't trust them and don't use them.

hth,
al

rickztahone
02-18-2015, 01:24 PM
6 X a day isn't a magic number, but smaller multiple feeding several times a day is a good idea for those that can do it. Its spreads out the nutrition available to the fish, and is in line with what a fish like a discus might do during the day in the wild. When raising juvies to adults, 3 -4 times a day is what I shoot for and always have.. Sometimes I feed more sometimes less. Juvenile fish have higher metabolism and growth needs so need more food than adults would. Adults can get 1 -2 times a day no problem. My advice is if you are raising juveniles to adults. Feed them a reasonable amount each feeding..it should be gone in 15 mins or less. feed in am, feed when you get home from work, and then feed at night an hour before lights out. Having lights on timers helps. Auto feeders are fine if you can't be around, but I don't trust them and don't use them.

hth,
al

I do the same. I would feed flakes, pellets, BH and a WC after that since the BH is so messy.