PDA

View Full Version : Red Wiggler Frenzy

Second Hand Pat
02-16-2015, 09:41 PM
Noted the halo on these fish. Music is still being saved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Dp2PVfF9A

William Palumbo
02-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Awesome Pat!...That's how you grow them fat. Probably the BEST food for Discus IMO. I could never get mine to eat them, and especially not like yours! Mine would just play with them more than eat...Bill

Second Hand Pat
02-16-2015, 09:51 PM
Awesome Pat!...That's how you grow them fat. Probably the BEST food for Discus IMO. I could never get mine to eat them, and especially not like yours! Mine would just play with them more than eat...Bill

Remember last summer Bill where that wild Cuipeua female was laying eggs over 1000 eggs. This is the secret. :D:D Let me see if I can find a picture.
Pat

Second Hand Pat
02-16-2015, 09:55 PM
I would have liked a better picture to work with, but I'm thinking...

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/CozyKeith/pat_zpse4d87fdd.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/CozyKeith/media/pat_zpse4d87fdd.jpg.html)

This is where Keith color coded the eggs for easy counting.

Here's the almost original picture

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Trombeta%20x%20Cuipeua/DSC_4382-Copy_zps419d6482.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/Second_Hand_Pat/media/Trombeta%20x%20Cuipeua/DSC_4382-Copy_zps419d6482.jpg.html)

William Palumbo
02-16-2015, 10:03 PM
WOW I remember that! What a batch that was. I've seen smaller clutches from two females. Gonna have to get my Red Wrigglers going again. I have my White worms for now...Bill

Altum Nut
02-16-2015, 10:08 PM
I don't have any theory to back up but I agree with Bill. I don't have any wilds but starting feeding cut-up compost worms to my Stendker off-spring Blue Pigeon grow-outs and they take to them just fine. My also love white worms...

...Ralph

Kirbs
02-16-2015, 10:27 PM
Nice video Pat! They really like those worms! They are looking real nice.

What kind of leaves do you have in there? Just curious.

And......what kind of heaters? I have to get 2 more for my 75 and am going back and forth between the Jager and Finnex Titanium.

Kingdom Come Discus
02-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Wonderful group Pat. You must really be enjoying them.

Second Hand Pat
02-16-2015, 11:10 PM
WOW I remember that! What a batch that was. I've seen smaller clutches from two females. Gonna have to get my Red Wrigglers going again. I have my White worms for now...Bill

She was a big female Bill. :)

I don't have any theory to back up but I agree with Bill. I don't have any wilds but starting feeding cut-up compost worms to my Stendker off-spring Blue Pigeon grow-outs and they take to them just fine. My also love white worms...

...Ralph

I have white worm cultures too Ralph. I also feeding the FGRTs red wigglers. Should they prove to be a pair I will be curious to the size of their spawns.

Nice video Pat! They really like those worms! They are looking real nice.

What kind of leaves do you have in there? Just curious.

And......what kind of heaters? I have to get 2 more for my 75 and am going back and forth between the Jager and Finnex Titanium.

Thanks Kribs, those are IALs. The heater is a Via Aqua Titanium Heater but I can not really recommend them.

Second Hand Pat
02-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Wonderful group Pat. You must really be enjoying them.

I am Kraig, just plain in love with those fish and boring everyone with pics and vids of them lol.
Pat

Tankster
02-16-2015, 11:15 PM
Beautiful Pat. This is inspiring me to get a red wiggler colony going.

p.s. On a side note - having Facebook is great but, I keep getting my wires crossed. I was looking for the "like" button and then realized... wait, you're on SD, you actually have to say hi and comment :)

Second Hand Pat
02-16-2015, 11:18 PM
Beautiful Pat. This is inspiring me to get a red wiggler colony going.

p.s. On a side note - having Facebook is great but, I keep getting my wires crossed. I was looking for the "like" button and then realized... wait, you're on SD, you actually have to say hi and comment :)

and I would rather you post Greg and yes, a red wiggler colony is worth considering and not to pricy to setup. My colonies are two years old. Trick is to feed the worms well and don't feed your breeders.
Pat

Chicago Discus
02-17-2015, 12:00 AM
You are becoming a great photographer Pat

Second Hand Pat
02-17-2015, 12:33 AM
You are becoming a great photographer Pat

Thanks Josie, I owe many thanks to Ricardo, Matt, Paul and Al for nursing me along. Have a bit more to cover. :)
Pat

spiffyfish
02-17-2015, 02:23 AM
Are there any threads on setting up a colony?

RodneyL001
02-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Yeah, looks like they are enjoying those worms. When I treat my fish to live worms, it is usually CBW, that is great to start your own colony, I might try again w/CBW.

RogueDiscus
02-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Hey Pat,
I've got lots of RW in bins and my compost pile. I've fed them a couple times, but I've worried about introducing undesireable stuff. Do you clean them?
Steve

Second Hand Pat
02-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Yeah, looks like they are enjoying those worms. When I treat my fish to live worms, it is usually CBW, that is great to start your own colony, I might try again w/CBW.

Red wigglers are so easy to care for but they are a bit more work to collect.

Second Hand Pat
02-17-2015, 10:06 PM
Hey Pat,
I've got lots of RW in bins and my compost pile. I've fed them a couple times, but I've worried about introducing undesireable stuff. Do you clean them?
Steve

Hi Steve, I only rinse with water. These are not aquatic worms so not concerned about parasites.
Pat