PDA

View Full Version : Few Discus are not eating

pauliuzas
02-17-2015, 08:18 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

The problem appeared 5 days ago. Al of my young discus were eating very normally. But 5 days ago: Tourquese, pigeon blood and golden discus stoped eating and started to hide in the corner. They sometimes swims around the tank but usually sits there in the corner you will see in the picture. I think that they are the smallest in my tank and other 3 bigger eating very great, and one the smallest is still eating. There is one more problem that in the beginning when all were eating, the bigger discus were attacking smaller and they do that still and between bigger, but one of the smallest do not care and eat normally...

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Not eating 3 of my 7 discus

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Have not tried anything

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

5 month old planted tank. 10 Rummy nose tetras, 10 corydoras, 6 siamensis algae eaters, 15 amano shrimps 15 red cherry shrimps

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

20 percent every second day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

ADA amazonia substrate. in the from 5 in the back 10 cm of substrate depth. 5 months old tank

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I age my water for more than 24 for hours in a 50 liters bucket during that aging i add conditioner. Always in this bucket i run power head heater and aerator during the ageing

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 84.2 farengheit

- ph 6.5

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 20

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water 0

- municipal water 50%

- RO water 50%

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah31/Paulius_Vengialis/DSC_0010_zps9sstypck.jpg
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah31/Paulius_Vengialis/DSC_0013_zpsiaez2urd.jpg
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah31/Paulius_Vengialis/DSC_0012_zpspen9gfrq.jpg

brewmaster15
02-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Paulius,
What kind of food do you normally feed?

al

pauliuzas
02-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Paulius,
What kind of food do you normally feed?

al

Beef heart and brain shrimps, both frozen. and every second day i put on the foot liquid vitamins by JBL. i feed 3-4 times a day. So 21 - 28 times per week and during these in aprox 25 feedings one or two is with blood worms

brewmaster15
02-18-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm wondering if the food rotted it that tank and was ingested.,..Its hard to feed BH mixes in a substrate tank. I'm going to guess that if thats the cases, you may start seeing a little bloating or swollen bellies and probably some stringy feces. Its possible you also have a case of hexamita/flagellated protozoans affecting the fish. Its not uncommon when you have a group of fish with mixed aggression. I would suggest trying epsom salt ( 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons) first which will help any fish there pass any bad food in the gut, It should not harm your plants. If that doesn't work, I would try a course of metronidazole.... 300-500 mgs per 10 gal, minimum 10 days daily dosing....large water changes before each dose. DO NOT RAISE THE TEMP.

Keep us posted.

al

pauliuzas
02-18-2015, 12:50 PM
I'm wondering if the food rotted it that tank and was ingested.,..Its hard to feed BH mixes in a substrate tank. I'm going to guess that if thats the cases, you may start seeing a little bloating or swollen bellies and probably some stringy feces. Its possible you also have a case of hexamita/flagellated protozoans affecting the fish. Its not uncommon when you have a group of fish with mixed aggression. I would suggest trying epsom salt ( 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons) first which will help any fish there pass any bad food in the gut, It should not harm your plants. If that doesn't work, I would try a course of metronidazole.... 300-500 mgs per 10 gal, minimum 10 days daily dosing....large water changes before each dose. DO NOT RAISE THE TEMP.

Keep us posted.

al

THank you very much for advice. I aee that their bellies lloks like foll. But they had no food in five days. Maybe food is in their stomach stucked.... going to where to get salt and going to treat the problem asap. Love you brewmaster. Il keep updating my post

brewmaster15
02-18-2015, 12:55 PM
THank you very much for advice. I aee that their bellies lloks like foll. But they had no food in five days. Maybe food is in their stomach stucked.... going to where to get salt and going to treat the problem asap. Love you brewmaster. Il keep updating my post

:) Just be sure that its Epsom Salt, also known as Magnesium Sulphate, Its found here in drug stores and pharmacies for use as a soak for sprains and as a laxative.

good luck,
al

pauliuzas
02-18-2015, 06:11 PM

Keep us posted.

al

BTW for how long i have to try epsom salt?

pauliuzas
02-19-2015, 04:29 AM
So i forget one more thing so the first question for how long i have to use epsom salt . Will start today. And the next question is this JBL Spirohexol Plus 250 could be used instead of metronidozol?

brewmaster15
02-19-2015, 12:33 PM
So i forget one more thing so the first question for how long i have to use epsom salt . Will start today. And the next question is this JBL Spirohexol Plus 250 could be used instead of metronidozol? I haven't used that product but the products states thats its effective against flagellated protozoans that we are concerned with, so if you have access to it, Its worth trying.

The epsom salt generally works with in 24 hours, but sometimes takes longer.

hth,
al

pauliuzas
02-20-2015, 11:12 AM
I haven't used that product but the products states thats its effective against flagellated protozoans that we are concerned with, so if you have access to it, Its worth trying.

The epsom salt generally works with in 24 hours, but sometimes takes longer.

hth,
al

So today i have set up my discus hospital. 12 galons tank (pictures below). Sadly i had no posibility toget EPSOM salt, so ordered it from the e-shop and it will arrive next week. But my discus are in the hospital tank. And i have started to treat the water with SERA MED FLAGELOL (picture below), had no better choice :( . This medication is agains a lot of bacterias and flagelates, so i hope it is like Metro. My buddies still in the corner in a new environment, i hope that i am on the right way.
Decided to treat the water with the medication everyday followed by instructions. Everyday do a 50 percent WC. After 3 days i will try to feed them. if not i will continiue medication for three days more, then again try to feed.... Any insights? :) Thank you btw Brewmaster15

pauliuzas
02-21-2015, 03:36 AM
Bad news. Those who i started treating with flagellol i 100 percent believe only has food stuck in their stomachs. i have epsom salt now! so starting treat them with epsom salt (MgSO4*7H2O) . but the discuses who are "healthy" and eating i see from their anal hole goes white very thin feces.... but they do eat. So i am going to treat the first with apsom salt in the treatment tank, then i am going to move all others into the same tank and continue treating with flagelol.