PDA

View Full Version : discus feaking out

lilpoo
02-17-2015, 01:26 PM
ok so I bought 6 2 inch discus. they are currently in a 40 breeder. I had them for about 3 days now.everytime I go feed or change their water acouple of them will freak out. they would zip all over the tank. due to this 2 have died. have anyone experience this? any tips would help

Tankster
02-17-2015, 01:40 PM
I approach the tank very slowly and all movements are slow motion. Once they acclimate to you it becomes less of a problem.

John_Nicholson
02-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Tank info? planted, bare bottom, water change schedule, temp, etc....

-john

jmf3460
02-17-2015, 01:55 PM
i read 62" discus. knowing this must have been a typo my brain automatically came up with a mental image of a 5 foot discus. then I went with it and let my mind take me to swimming with a life sized discus and letting it flip me off its tail fin to do a pike position one and a half somersault with a 3/4 twist....to win gold.

Keith Perkins
02-17-2015, 02:01 PM
i read 62" discus. knowing this must have been a typo my brain automatically came up with a mental image of a 5 foot discus. then I went with it and let my mind take me to swimming with a life sized discus and letting it flip me off its tail fin to do a pike position one and a half somersault with a 3/4 twist....to win gold.

Someone must have broken out the good stuff celebrating a snow day. :D

Tankster
02-17-2015, 04:39 PM

:fried:

jmf3460
02-17-2015, 04:42 PM
an ice day...either way, shots are involved...:)

DiscusRob
02-17-2015, 05:01 PM
an ice day...either way, shots are involved...:)

Mass amounts of Adult Beverages and a serious addiction to Discus keeping lead to these type of symptoms:grin::grin::grin:

brewmaster15
02-17-2015, 05:01 PM
You guys are bad! I see a space between the 6 and 2... 6 2" discus.

lilpoo, we need more info... also need info on where the tanks located.. It sounds like they are bolting because you are surprising them
. If you watch them from a far and they are behaving normal.. they may be nothing physically wrong.. just your typical "new fish, scared and try to flee " syndrome. Sounds pretty extreme though if they bolt so hard they die.

check all your water parameters and post back.
al

DiscusRob
02-17-2015, 05:02 PM
seriously, I agree with Tankster and John above

DiscusRob
02-17-2015, 05:08 PM
You guys are bad! I see a space between the 6 and 2... 6 2" discus.

lilpoo, we need more info... also need info on where the tanks located.. It sounds like they are bolting because you are surprising them
. If you watch them from a far and they are behaving normal.. they may be nothing physically wrong.. just your typical "new fish, scared and try to flee " syndrome. Sounds pretty extreme though if they bolt so hard they die.

check all your water parameters and post back.
al

Well, its snowing up north, ice/snow in the south, and raining and cold here in florida, what do you expect us to do????? :):):)

Chicago Discus
02-17-2015, 05:11 PM

Brewboy is right +1.....Josie

Solid
02-17-2015, 05:11 PM
I also would avoid wearing dark clothes around them for the first few weeks. I have noticed that when I wear dark shirts, and make sudden moments it can scare discus.

jmf3460
02-17-2015, 05:31 PM
OP, also approach the tank from a head on stance, not at an angle...I have found this to work in the past with new fish even other types than discus. My festivum hated bright green, which is my favorite color so every time I wore my favorite sweatshirt they would dart, uncontrollably like yours at first. I agree avoid darks, mine like white, plain white clothes...

lilpoo
02-18-2015, 02:21 AM
lol funny

lilpoo
02-18-2015, 02:23 AM

lol funny

lilpoo
02-18-2015, 02:24 AM

lol funny

lilpoo
02-18-2015, 02:32 AM
Tank info? planted, bare bottom, water change schedule, temp, etc....

-john

I have a 40 breeder bare bottom water change always at night around 10ish temps is set to 84F. every day I come down stairs to feed them one or two would run crazy to the point that they freeze and flaot up flat. seems dead for acouple sec. today there was 2 found dead. they r kept in basement for child safety issues. I will try out all these method mentioned.

John_Nicholson
02-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Can they see through the bottom of the tank to the floor? Some tank stands are solid but some are built so that there are holes. If that is the case you will need to paint the outside or simply tape some white paper so that it gives the appearance of bottom. I have seen this freak them out before.

-john

brewmaster15
02-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Can they see through the bottom of the tank to the floor? Some tank stands are solid but some are built so that there are holes. If that is the case you will need to paint the outside or simply tape some white paper so that it gives the appearance of bottom. I have seen this freak them out before.

-john
Agree with John there.
al

Miss_Fish
02-18-2015, 11:09 AM

-john

Well I think that solved my problem too, my fish have been doing the same thing since I took the substrate out. I was thinking about printing out pages that look like white sand and then taping them to the bottom.