PDA

View Full Version : Discus collecting next summer.

Restazonia
02-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Great news for those wishing to collect Red Spotted Greens.

But first let me introduce myself. I've been in the hobby for over fifty years. Bred my first discus when I was in my teens. My fish room consists of over 60 tanks and houses fish and their progeny that I collected in the Amazon. My screen name is the gift of a friend that when visiting said that the fish room was better than the Amazonia exhibit at the Smithsonian National Zoo and it is in Reston, VA. Thus RESTAZONIA was borne. I have better than a dozen Amazon and other location collecting trips under my belt. I'm not a vendor of fish nor in the fish business; however, I am associated with MT Amazon Expeditions and a soon to be announced new venture collecting out of Puerto Maldonado, Peru.

Now to the collecting opportunity - this is posted on the SimplyDiscus FB page with a photo. Arrangements are in the works with the discus fishermen of Santa Clara, Peru for a night discus fishing expedition. Details are not finalized; however, we do know that the expedition will take place Saturday night, August 15, between the two weeks of the MT Amazon Expeditions tropical fish collecting trips. Those collecting either week or both can participate in this unique opportunity. If you are interested please send an email to restazonia at gmail.com or follow updates on Restazonia on FB at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Restazonia/1499956496919615

rickztahone
02-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Great to have you on board Michael. Sounds like a fun trip! I envy you the opportunity. I look forward to following your expedition.

Tankster
02-18-2015, 06:35 PM
Glad to see you found us Mike!

Everyone - Mike is the wonderful person I found over at CCA (Capital Cichlids Association) that was headed down to the Amazon Basin on a collection trip. He offered to pick me up some corydora while down there. Stand up guy and would be great company on this expedition!

Thread: Corydoras-Leucomelas-False-spotted-cory (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?118082-Corydoras-leucomelas-False-spotted-cory-(I-m-behind-the-eightball!))

DonMD
02-18-2015, 06:51 PM
Great meeting you at PVAS, Mike, wish I could make the trip south. I retire in November, so maybe next year LOL!

Restazonia
02-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Great meeting you at PVAS, Mike, wish I could make the trip south. I retire in November, so maybe next year LOL!

Should be able to point you in the direction of a number of different collecting opportunities in 2016.

DonMD
02-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Do you have a license to import the fish you collect? How do you handle the fish between the time they are collected and the time they are introduced into your aquarium? Thanks, -Don

Restazonia
02-24-2015, 03:13 PM
I do have an import license. Fish collected are maintained in plastic coolers with frequent water changes, medicated and fed until delivery to the exporter. I have spent time with the exporter - he does a great job handling the fish in his facility. Every trip I take him meds and equipment that aren't easily available in Peru. Shipment to the states takes less than 24 hours in our summer months.

Pipa
07-07-2017, 03:09 PM
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I'm curious if there's a collecting trip for 2017 or 2018?

Pardal
07-07-2017, 11:55 PM
+1

Second Hand Pat
07-08-2017, 07:07 AM
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I'm curious if there's a collecting trip for 2017 or 2018?

Mike has not been on Simply in over a year. I would suggest trying to contact him thru his FB page.
Pat

Larry Bugg
07-08-2017, 10:22 AM
http://www.mtamazon.com/