PDA

View Full Version : I am back!! Six new Cuipeuas from Mark/WB Sabby

Pages : 1 [2]

jawfish
07-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Good Luck Mauro... Will keep our fingers crossed !!!

DiscusBR
07-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Good luck Mauro! Record the wonderful grace of these creatures during thier "dance" :)

Thank you, Rick. I did not record them this time, but in case you missed, here is a previous video of them in the act:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdUwS9Kj-BA

I have the impression that the male lost interest in spawning. He did several runs, but then abandoned the action near the cone. The female then started to approach him as if trying to lure him back to the cone. Has anyone seen this?

Anyway, the eggs might not have been fertilized. Will see...

rickztahone
07-17-2015, 01:32 AM
Absolutely stunning

Second Hand Pat
07-17-2015, 07:54 AM
Crossing fingers for you Mauro :)
Pat

DiscusBR
07-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Good Luck Mauro... Will keep our fingers crossed !!!

Absolutely stunning

Crossing fingers for you Mauro :)
Pat

Thank you, everyone.

Mesh in place. Let's see if I get wigglers this time.

Keith Perkins
07-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Just 36 hours or so to go...

DiscusBR
07-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Just 36 hours or so to go...

Well, more than two days later, and there are no wigglers. The eggs now are light orange, almost yellow. This is kind of weird. The male did make runs in the cone during spawn, but apparently he is not fertilizing the eggs. Remember, this is confirmed pair. I got wigglers before. Any explanation? Is this common?

Discus Origins
07-19-2015, 11:55 PM
Well, more than two days later, and there are no wigglers. The eggs now are light orange, almost yellow. This is kind of weird. The male did make runs in the cone during spawn, but apparently he is not fertilizing the eggs. Remember, this is confirmed pair. I got wigglers before. Any explanation? Is this common?

Mauro,

What are the water parameters in terms of temp and hardness? Is the cone in a high flow area of the tank?

DiscusBR
07-20-2015, 12:07 AM
Mauro,

What are the water parameters in terms of temp and hardness? Is the cone in a high flow area of the tank?

Water parameters: TDS 91 ppm, PH 7.4. It has been very hot here in New Orleans, which has kept the tank's temperature at around 87F (I usually keep it at 82F). Since the fry failed to attach to parents in the two spawns in which I got free-swimmers, the pair is now in an area of the tank with very little water circulation.

Discus Origins
07-20-2015, 12:48 AM
Water parameters: TDS 91 ppm, PH 7.4. It has been very hot here in New Orleans, which has kept the tank's temperature at around 87F (I usually keep it at 82F). Since the fry failed to attach to parents in the two spawns in which I got free-swimmers, the pair is now in an area of the tank with very little water circulation.

87 is very high....I've never had good hatch rates above 83-84F. That may be problem....also male could be still young.

DiscusBR
07-20-2015, 01:00 AM
87 is very high....I've never had good hatch rates above 83-84F. That may be problem....also male could be still young.

Thank you, Mark. I might need to wait for the end of summer to make this work :) My apartment gets very hot during the day and unfortunately I cannot afford a chiller. But I have learned that discus-keeping requires patience, so I will wait.

Discus Origins
07-20-2015, 01:16 AM
Thank you, Mark. I might need to wait for the end of summer to make this work :) My apartment gets very hot during the day and unfortunately I cannot afford a chiller. But I have learned that discus-keeping requires patience, so I will wait.

Do you keep your AC on in the apartment during the day? It's 95F here in FL but we set the AC of the warehouse at 80F. That keeps the water around 82F all day.

Also double check to make sure your heater isn't coming on when the water is warm.

DiscusBR
07-28-2015, 11:55 PM
Do you keep your AC on in the apartment during the day? It's 95F here in FL but we set the AC of the warehouse at 80F. That keeps the water around 82F all day.

Also double check to make sure your heater isn't coming on when the water is warm.

Hi Mark, I am leaving the AC on at home during the day, which has brought the tank's temperature to 82F. The pair spawned yesterday. I thought this time they would do it right and decided to not put the mesh. My mistake, the eggs were eaten. I will put the mesh next time.

The 4 discus in the 75g (including the confirmed pair) are doing well and look healthy. But things started going downhill today in the 48g tank where I have two Laranjal discus in quarantine. One of them started to Whirl an hour ago. No darting, but looks sick, with strong stress bars, and swimming in circles. Oh boy, here I go again... I decided to start immediately a treatment with Tinidazol: 500mg/10gal. I am also switching tank lights off and raising the temperature to 89F. Will see...

DiscusBR
07-28-2015, 11:56 PM

Hi Mark, I am leaving the AC on at home during the day, which has brought the tank's temperature to 82F. The pair spawned yesterday. I thought this time they would do it right and decided to not put the mesh. My mistake, the eggs were eaten. I will put the mesh next time.

The 4 discus in the 75g (including the confirmed pair) are doing well and look healthy. But things started going downhill today in the 48g tank where I have two Laranjal discus in quarantine. One of them started to Whirl an hour ago. No darting, but looks sick, with strong stress bars, and swimming in circles. Oh boy, here I go again... I decided to start immediately a treatment with Tinidazol: 500mg/10gal. I am also switching tank lights off and raising the temperature to 89F. Will see...

Mapet
07-29-2015, 06:32 PM
and raising the temperature to 89F
Do not do that! The high temperature helps bacteria reproduce faster.
Check from time to time pH, because the medicine may raise them above 7, which will not be good for the fish.

DiscusBR
07-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Do not do that! The high temperature helps bacteria reproduce faster.
Check from time to time pH, because the medicine may raise them above 7, which will not be good for the fish.

Ok, I am keeping the temperature at 84F. I don't understand your comment about PH. The PH in that results from my RO/Tap water mix is 7.4. It is always above 7.0.

BTW, the Laranjal looks a bit better. He hides a lot in a corner, but was swimming around the tank today. Stress bars remain strong, though.

I did a 50% WC and re-dosed the Tinidazol.

Mapet
07-30-2015, 12:40 AM
I don't understand your comment about PH. The PH in that results from my RO/Tap water mix is 7.4. It is always above 7.0.
It's about medicine, when pH drop under 6 treatment is not strong enough to kill bacteria, if go above medicine can be toxic for fish.
When I treatment my fish to bacteria i not doing water changes a few days. Only I was using enroflaksacin.

jawfish
07-30-2015, 07:39 PM
Darned Mauro, For those with the whirling disease, when I had an outbrack, I turned the light off, but I also taped some garbage bags on the side of the aquarium to make them darker. I hope you beat it.

DiscusBR
08-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone,

Time for another update. First, the good news about the 2 laranjal discus that were in quarantine in the 48g tank. After I saw one of them swirling, I did two separate rounds (two doses each) of a Tinidazol treatment, with a five-day interval between the two rounds, followed by a lot of clean water. I am happy to report that the laranjals are doing very well. After two months in quarantine, I moved them to the 75g with two of my Cuipeuas. I made a video of the tank today with the four wilds (sorry for the poor-quality and shaky video). The video starts with the two laranjals and then moves to the two Cuiepeuas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nen2r09P_yw

I took the tank divider and moved the Uatuma Red-Cuipeua pair from the 75g to the 48g. After a few days in the tank, they got busy again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4lmgHI1uGo

As you can see in the video, both fish are shedding a bit of slime coat (top of the dorsal fin). I am not very concerned, since I have been doing a lot of WCs to keep water quality. Is it normal for breeding pairs to shed some slime coat?

I hope that this spawn will succeed. Temperatures remain very hot here in New Orleans. Even when I leave the AC on in the room during the day, the tank’s temperature is around 85F. Now that the pair has their own tank, things should work better. I am going to put the mesh over the cone. Fingers crossed.

Second Hand Pat
08-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Things seem to be working out for you Mauro and love seeing those two run the cone. Best of luck in getting wigglers :)
Pat

DiscusBR
08-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Things seem to be working out for you Mauro and love seeing those two run the cone. Best of luck in getting wigglers :)
Pat

Thank you, Pat. High temperatures might be against me, but hopefully I will get a good amount of wigglers and they will attach this time.

Second Hand Pat
08-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Mauro, when your fish spawned and raised fry before what was the temp?
Pat

DiscusBR
08-16-2015, 07:23 PM
Mauro, when your fish spawned and raised fry before what was the temp?
Pat

You mean this pair or the group I had in Brazil? In the case of this pair, I got wigglers twice, but there was no attachment. In the case of the group I had in Brazil, they spawned at 82F.

jawfish
08-18-2015, 10:19 PM
We're keeping our fingers crossed Mauro :D

DiscusBR
08-18-2015, 11:17 PM
We're keeping our fingers crossed Mauro :D

Thank you! Weather has cooled in New Orleans and the tank temperature is now 81F. I can already see some eggs turning dark. I should have wigglers tomorrow.

jawfish
08-18-2015, 11:49 PM
Great news Mauro !!!

sridharp77
08-19-2015, 04:06 AM
Great News ...

can you provide some details on the Tinidazole treatment as well for the Swirling disease.

DiscusBR
08-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Great news Mauro !!!

Great News ...

Thank you.

can you provide some details on the Tinidazole treatment as well for the Swirling disease.

This forum has all the information you need :) I recommend using the advanced search tool, with the option of "search titles only". On the whirling disease, see:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?115050-Whirling-Disease&highlight=Whirling

On Tinidazole, see:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?89004-Anyone-Use-Tinidazole

DiscusBR
08-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Well, I burned my tongue, as we say in Brazil. The spawn did not work. The few eggs that were turning dark were the only ones that actually became wigglers. From a big batch of eggs, only 8 or so actually hatched. From the four confirmed wild discus pairs I ever worked with, this one has proven to be by far the most difficult. They spawned few times, but always ate the eggs. So I started using a mesh over the cone. I got wigglers twice, but for some reason there was no attachment. And now this...

Well, I guess patience is crucial, as usual. I will keep trying. Any suggestions of what might be wrong?

Second Hand Pat
08-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Mauro, I would simply place the pair back in with the group. Give them a place to spawn and let nature take its course. I would not screen the eggs. Just allow the pair to defend the spawn and give them a chance to mature as a pair. All my wild pairs were into their third year before spawning and think your group in Brazil may have been older also.

Also look at your water. I have read that wild fish will eat their spawn if something is off (like water). I would simply check to see where your GH is. Should be around 70ppm or 4 degreeGH.

You could also allow the pair to practice and mature in the breeding tank. Again I would not screen the eggs but this is a personal choice I made with my fish.
Pat

DiscusBR
08-21-2015, 09:47 AM
Mauro, I would simply place the pair back in with the group. Give them a place to spawn and let nature take its course. I would not screen the eggs. Just allow the pair to defend the spawn and give them a chance to mature as a pair. All my wild pairs were into their third year before spawning and think your group in Brazil may have been older also.

Also look at your water. I have read that wild fish will eat their spawn if something is off (like water). I would simply check to see where your GH is. Should be around 70ppm or 4 degreeGH.

You could also allow the pair to practice and mature in the breeding tank. Again I would not screen the eggs but this is a personal choice I made with my fish.
Pat

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Pat. I will let the pair mature in the 48g. Easier to control water quality this way. TDS is about 90ppm. I will try reducing it a bit.

Second Hand Pat
08-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi Maruo, check your GH. Your GH might be fine at your current TDS.
Pat

ganesan
12-31-2015, 07:57 PM
These fish look great. They have stunning colors.

ganesan
06-16-2022, 03:02 PM
Where are your wild discus currently. Are you still keeping them or have disposed them to krishna raju