PDA

View Full Version : Discus Water change odor question?

tmtplyb
02-22-2015, 10:08 AM
I got 5 Juvi yesterday all 2.5-3" in size for my 55g bare bottom tank which been cycle for the last few weeks, I did 40% WC this morning, when changing the water I had realize that the water had much stronger odor of smell compare to a tetra or any others fresh water fishes. Anyone knows why discus water smell so bad? due to their body slime, poop ect...? I could not quite figure out why? Thanks.

John_Nicholson
02-22-2015, 11:01 AM
It is not the discus. They do not put any odor into the water that is different from any other fish.

-john

bluelagoon
02-22-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm not quite getting it.A 40% WC in the past few weeks???

tmtplyb
02-22-2015, 12:56 PM
bluelagoon,

tank cycle in the last few weeks, WC in the last few days 40% each day, putting the discuses in the tank yesterday, do the WC this morning 40% discover that the odor smell in the water came out of the tank to be changed, so I posted on the forum to see if there anything I need to know since I am a newbie!

bluelagoon
02-23-2015, 11:37 AM
What makes you think that your tank is fully cycled?Usually it takes 4-6 weeks for a good cycle.Maybe a good squeeze from an established filter would be your best bit right now.Not a whole lot to go by.What other water are you using besides polluted rainwater?Is it well water with a high organic load(does it smell before going in the tank) or dechlorinated water?Try 50% or more on WC's everyday.

tmtplyb
02-23-2015, 08:25 PM
ok I will try that thnaks!

SNap0283
02-23-2015, 10:00 PM
What are you feeding them? Is there a lot of uneaten food laying around in the tank? Does the water have an unusual color? The breakdown of any organic mater in water does cause an odor but if the water was as clean as it should be it should just barely be a noticeable smell.