PDA

View Full Version : Blue diamond pair are breaking up

nicole5085
02-23-2015, 10:15 AM
:( My blue diamonds have been together for 8 months. The female laid eggs almost every week. I know wich is the female and i have seen the male making passes over the eggs all the time. The eggs made to be wriglers but not further than that. I read a lot of posts on this forum and i learned a lot from it. I figured they are still young.
Problem now is that my male started to attack my female and was stressing her out. She had wragged fins and was looking ill. I treated the tank with maracyn oxi for five days. Also used Melafix. She was getting better but the male would'nt stop pecking at her so i separated them with a sheet of plexiglas my husband drilled holes in it and the water flows nicely through it. The female is almost back to normal but he keeps wanting to peck at her on the plexiglas. Will they ever be together again?

Second Hand Pat
02-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Guessing he wants to breed and she is off cycle. Since the divider is working for now you can leave it in place until she shows an interest in him. You could also add both to a community tank which would help spread the aggression across more fish.

Chicago Discus
02-23-2015, 10:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQD3At3E7TA

When this happens I usually switch my pairs around do you have another female that you could put him with or another male with her......Josie

John_Nicholson
02-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Violence in nature is completely normal. He just wants to spawn again and she is not ready. It very seldom ends in death. I normally just leave mine together and let them work it out.

-john

nicole5085
02-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, i wish i could put them in my community tank but it is recovering from a bout of Hex. I was very carefull to not spread it to the blue diamonds and they are fine but i am not ready to trust my other tank yet. Had 6 discuss lost 4 but learned a lot through you guys. Treated them with Metro than deworm. Looking better but not taking a chance. I will keep the plexigas for a week or so than i will try to remove it and watch them.

nicole5085
02-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Well she was looking beat up, i think she needed a break!

nicole5085
02-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Josie, the song was funny!
No i don't have another female yet.

limige
02-23-2015, 09:53 PM
my angels are going through the same thing. kinda, the male has been beating her up but she's do to lay any day now. I noticed last night he wouldn't leave her be...
its kinda funny because I was initially worried they wouldn't pair again. I force paired the two and the male sat on the sidelines first go around. second time he was right with her, now he can't wait, lol.

John_Nicholson
02-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the advice, i wish i could put them in my community tank but it is recovering from a bout of Hex. I was very carefull to not spread it to the blue diamonds and they are fine but i am not ready to trust my other tank yet. Had 6 discuss lost 4 but learned a lot through you guys. Treated them with Metro than deworm. Looking better but not taking a chance. I will keep the plexigas for a week or so than i will try to remove it and watch them.

Just so everyone know....nearly every single fish swimming in every single tank has at least some hex in it. It is completely normal. A otherwise healthy fish can handle hex with no issues or treatment. When you start seeing signs of a hex breakout it is normally a secondary issue or the fish is being highly stressed in some other way.

Good luck.

-john

nicole5085
02-24-2015, 07:25 PM
Thanks John,
I know they all have flagellates and worms but for some reason that tank got overcome by it. Readings were normal, same as the blue diamond tank. I had 6 around 3 inch discuss, 75 gallon tank. I think the water wasn't clean enough for the amount of fish. The blue diamonds are by themselves in a 55 gallon tank. I used metro and deworm that i purchased from Rocky Mountain Discuss because the store brand API was only 250mg per gallon and i realized that i needed 400mg per gallon. I wasted precious time with a weaker strenght i think and that's why i lost 4. Once i started with the strong stuff they started to get better. Unfortunatly, it got a good hold of them. I had not put meds for about 10 days and its back again but not as severe. i thought i might follow with prazi after the 5 day course of metro that i started 3 days ago. What do you think? PS I am changing 20 gallons a day in that tank.

nicole5085
02-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Sorry i meant 250 mg for 10 gallons earlier.

nicole5085
02-24-2015, 07:27 PM
And 400 mg per 10 gallons

nicole5085
02-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Just had an epiphany, the community tank has an algea eater, the blue diamond tank does not. Could that be the stress factor????

Chicago Discus
02-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Just had an epiphany, the community tank has an algea eater, the blue diamond tank does not. Could that be the stress factor????

Not likely one algae eater shouldn't cause any stress