PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Brute container for water aging - best way to aerate??

phorty
02-23-2015, 06:49 PM
So I'm setting up a 44 gallon Brute trash can in the basement below my display tank to age water for water changes. Seems like a pretty common thing to do around here :D

I have an extra 250 watt heater and a 1/6 HP Flotec pump already. My question relates to the aeration of water. I hear people say use an airstone. I've never actually used one in my 5+ years of being deep into the aquarium hobby. Are all airstones the same - what specific parts do I actually need? Or please recommend another way to aerate the water. Links to specific items to buy to accomplish my mission will help. Thanks!

DonMD
02-23-2015, 07:17 PM
If I were you, I'd just drop in on a local fish store and pick up any air stone. I use the cylindrical ones, but you can use a round one, any one. You'll need a small air pump and some tubing. It's pretty simple, really, just for a 44 gallon container. Many serious discus keepers use multiple air stones and have advanced pumps, but if you only want one stone, just get a little pump. Others may have better advice. Good luck.

SNap0283
02-23-2015, 09:43 PM
I believe the ONLY use of an airstone is for water circulation. If the pump you have keeps the water moving briskly that should be fine. In theory the additional "surface area" of the water provided by the air bubbles should help age the water faster but if the pump is moving the water fast enough the time it takes to heat the water will likely be more than the time it takes to reach a gas equilibrium. Ive used many containers over the years to age water and have always just used old powerheads I seem to always find laying around. Its always been sufficient.

Bill63SG
02-23-2015, 10:49 PM
I like to use the plastic air stones because you can clean them. Also I like to zip tie it to the heater so I know it's at the bottom.

phorty
02-24-2015, 12:19 AM
Thanks guys. I don't have any power heads laying around so I'll have to grab an air stone for circulation. Pardon my ignorance but you need a separate air pump to drive an air stone? Like this?

Bill63SG
02-24-2015, 02:34 AM
Yes,you need a pump to push air thru the airstone.

MendoMan
02-24-2015, 09:58 AM
I use the frame from an extra sponge filter with the sponge removed. They're weighted and stay right on the bottom.

pgrhodes1
02-24-2015, 11:15 AM
I use a pump in the bottom of the barrel. I really like the hydro inline heaters so I also run my water through an extra canister filter I had laying around. I use a float valve to turn water off on fill up and I'm good to go. Over kill I know, but this works really well for me.

phorty
02-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Okay guys & gals, I pulled the trigger on this thing on eBay. Hopefully it does the trick.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Pump-Adjustable-for-Aquarium-16-feet-tubing-2-air-stones-2-check-valves-/251233090132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7ea8ba54

2wheelsx2
02-24-2015, 05:09 PM
I like to you a Maxijet with the venturi attachment so you get the circulation and the air bubbles. I currently use a Hydor Koralia aimed at the surface to "boil" the water surface because my last spare MJ broke. Both work equally well, but of course the HK is quieter since there are no bubbles.