PDA

View Full Version : Safe to Use This Water/Filter!

Mrs. J
02-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Need help settling a discussion....Eheim Pro was taken out of a tank for cleaning....intake tubes and outflow tube were not clean, so I refused to put it back into tank....Sat for approximately two weeks, not running, closed up. When started up in a bucket the smell was of strong hydrogen sulfide. After running in a bucket with prime, smell gone. My feeling is that the biomedia in the filter sponge bioballs, etc. are not safe to use. Disagreement in household that after running clear/clean water and no smell, biomedia and filter are ok to use.
I do not want any of the filter/media used until all is safe...Take no chaces. Help!

sdrexler078
02-23-2015, 11:49 PM
I would just take it apart and clean it. It's not hard to clean the media but the bio has died off so I personally wouldn't take the chance when it's not hard to replace or clean

Mrs. J
02-24-2015, 03:35 PM
I cleaned the filter...personally not a big fan of this particular canister..think there a newer/better ones on the market...however, I was not concerned about cleaning the filter, but more concerned that biomedia was probably not safe to use even after "cleaning" it. Thanks for the reply and help.

SNap0283
02-25-2015, 12:15 AM
If any biomedia was left in a closed container for weeks it would die off and smell. I wouldn't let the smell drive you away from using it again once cleaned.