PDA

View Full Version : Pre Tank Beginner Feed BACK Needed!! and Appreciated

jgalen0025
02-25-2015, 03:49 PM
(I posted this in the sticky and then realized the last post was almost 2 years ago so I thought it would be better to make my own thread)

1) Hi, Everyone! My name is Jeff and I have been keeping fish for about 5 years. The last 4 years have been keeping hard to keep/rare marine fish and maintaining a small polyp stony 180 gallon reef with all the bells.

2) I have done a little research here on the stickies and on youtube. (Discus Hans is only 2 hours from me)

3) My tank is a 120 4ft tank that I couldnt sell and I have always wanted a planted discus tank. It is empty at the moment but it will be filled and
the cycle started soon

4) Planted, with dirt bottom, mostly discus and a school of tetras

5) I would do a water change once a month depending on bio load and feeding regimen. I have an ro/di unit that will be used to fill the tank unless told otherwise

6) I dont want a sump so I would like some suggestions as to the type of filtration that is recommended

7) City Well water with no chloramines just Sodium hypochlorite

8) Money is not an issue so I plan on treating this tank like my reef tanks, pack as many rare and expensive fish as I can do without degrading the animals living conditions

9) I feed my reef 3 times per day: frozen and pellets(live for my predator tank)

10) With everything I get into, I do it because I love keeping fish and I LOVE a challenge so if breeding is the ultimate challenge then that is what I will probably end up doing.

Please give me some feedback, it is greatly appreciated!
PS. I will be doing a build log if your interested!?
Jeff

Cabe
02-25-2015, 05:02 PM
Since money is no issue and you are going with a planted tank, get the largest discus available. Planted tanks are very hard to use to grow out juveniles.

Solid
02-25-2015, 05:50 PM
I've kept discus for a few years, but am still a beginner compared to many people here Ill try and give my experience on few points.

4) If you want to keep discus in a planted tank you will need to buy as big a fish as possible 5+" will probably be recommended. I have tried to grow out juvenile discus in a planted tank, and while some did survive most were slightly stunted and not the beautiful fish you see kept by users here.

5) I highly doubt once a month water changes will work well for you. I have 7 5" (6 of them are still young adults and growing) discus in a planted 90 gallon and do 40-50% water changes almost every day. I originally planned to do water changes 2-3 times a week, but the fish LOVE the water changes. I can really tell a change in behavior if I skip a day and completely changes after a water change, so I have been doing them daily. I do not use RO water, but I do age my water 24 hours.

6) I use 2 fluval canister filters (405 &406), and they seem to work well for me. I actually would like to switch to a wet/dry sump style filter, but my current stand wont let me.

8) This will help! Buy the biggest fish you can afford. Discus Hans is a great local resource for you. I would also work out a automated/semi-automated water change system. You will still need to vacuum up uneaten food and poop, but any automated system will save you lots of work.

Good luck!
-Matt

Second Hand Pat
02-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Jeff, before diving into this feet first please take a step back and do some research. The following link will help to introduce you to the basics of discus keeping and is a nice guide written by one of our moderators.

Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus)

There are many threads at the top of the Discus Basics for Beginners section as stickies Discus Basics for Beginners (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?48-Discus-Basics-for-Beginners) and can be read at any time.

I strongly urge you to start with a BB tank with discus. Get a handle on the fish before going planted. Do planted in a separate tank and then, once you feel comfortable with both combine the two. You will find each requires both skill, knowledge and a bit of practice to be successful.
Pat

jgalen0025
02-26-2015, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback. SHPat, thanks for the link, it was a good read. I know that you recommended I start with a bare bottom tank but I was hoping that by buying 4 plus inch fish that I could avoid the growing out phase. I believe my husbandry skills are as good as anyone as I have to maintain pristine water for my sps tank(nitrate, phosphate, alk, Ca, Mg, and trace elements). I have a neptune apex tank controller for automation and I could expand it to take on as many tanks as possible, mostly for the purpose of an auto water change system as mentioned above.

On another note there is a long time fish person and pet store owner at wet pets in Pittsburgh, Pa who has an amazing planted discus tank using leng sy's eco system which he rarely does water changes.(Something like ten changes in six years with obvious long term success.)

Thanks for the tips and keep them coming!!

Second Hand Pat
02-26-2015, 09:07 AM
Jeff, I came from a reef tank to discus. Discus are a whole different ballgame. Simply put, discus need fresh water. I am trying to save you some early headaches with my recommendations.

Seen that video wet pets video. My only comment on that is I doubt any discus remained in that tank for long.