PDA

View Full Version : My first discus is 1 year old

ericNH
02-26-2015, 12:36 PM
Ok, I know he's not a show fish lol. But one year ago today I picked up Blue, my first discus, and he was a juvenile at about 2.5 inches. I then proceeded to do everything wrong, and subjected this guy to all manner of bad husbandry practices and ill-kept tank conditions.

Anyways, I've lost several discus along the way trying to correct my mistakes, but this guy still lives! so Happy Birthday Blue! May you have many more :)

Loosir
02-26-2015, 01:54 PM
Congrats! I'm hoping to make that same milestone this august.

blueluv
02-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Congrats! I'm glad you learned from mistakes along the way and didn't give up. Blue looks great and my favorite color.

ericNH
02-26-2015, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys :) He is stunted, but i'm willing to bet there are many people out there who's first discus didn't make it to their first anniversary.

jmf3460
02-26-2015, 10:16 PM
hes a survivor!! and hes beautiful

sdrexler078
02-26-2015, 10:50 PM
The important thing is you learned. A lot of people think we are mean and are against planted tanks but a lot of us you included started off not knowing. But it's the ability to learn from our mistakes is what makes us and our fish better

ericNH
02-26-2015, 10:53 PM
Congrats! I'm hoping to make that same milestone this august.

Well then you must post pics in August :) Judging from your posts, I'd say you're going to be wildly successful :thumbsup:

Congrats! I'm glad you learned from mistakes along the way and didn't give up. Blue looks great and my favorite color.

Never give up! Never surrender! A year from now my tank will be that much better. I am slowly and surely evolving this tank, improving it, tweaking it, achieving balance. :fish:

ericNH
02-26-2015, 10:58 PM
hes a survivor!! and hes beautiful

Yes he is! To both! Thank you for saying so :)

Rudustin
02-26-2015, 11:00 PM
Congratulations. Blue is cute and seems happy despite his slight stunting. I have made more mistakes than you I bet. I have some old timer discus that I made mistakes on as well. It's funny most of us don't post pics of our mistakes but I would bet there are more of those than the stunningly beautiful ones you always see posted on SD. Happy Birthday Blue and many more. Rufus

ericNH
02-26-2015, 11:07 PM
The important thing is you learned. A lot of people think we are mean and are against planted tanks but a lot of us you included started off not knowing. But it's the ability to learn from our mistakes is what makes us and our fish better

So true. As God is my witness I know I have learned. From this site! A little, at least lol. Still have a ways to go, and I will get there. Thank you sdrexler078 that means alot. I have great respect for your opinions.

ericNH
02-26-2015, 11:15 PM
Congratulations. Blue is cute and seems happy despite his slight stunting. I have made more mistakes than you I bet.

Oh I highly doubt that my friend. I only say so becuase just your avatar alone speaks volumes about how you take care of your discus. Let alone all the experience and discus wisdom you've shared on these boards.

Rudustin
02-26-2015, 11:22 PM
Well, I have made many mistakes. Terrible ones as a matter of fact. You may know that I am an adamant preacher about quarantine. Why, because I made a terrible mistake and didn't heed the warnings of so many and did the unthinkable. I lost an entire 125gallon tank of very expensive and very beautiful discus when I first started several years ago. Other mistakes include stunting a whole bunch of discus that I didn't do enough water changes on. I have flooded my condo at least three times not paying enough attention to water changes. Thank goodness I have concrete floors and very understanding neighbors! I think the purpose of this forum is to not judge but to ask, learn, experiment and most of all to share the exciting challenges to keep discus. Once again congratulations on Blue's birthday my friend and continue to let us know how you're doing. Rufus

ericNH
02-26-2015, 11:27 PM
I think the purpose of this forum is to not judge but to ask, learn, experiment and most of all to share the exciting challenges to keep discus.

Hear Hear! Well said!

Once again congratulations on Blue's birthday my friend and continue to let us know how you're doing. Rufus

And thank you, Rudustin

Chicago Discus
02-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Despite the learning curve "Blue" is very cute I would be proud of him :):)....Happy Birthday Blue.....Josie

ericNH
02-27-2015, 09:38 AM
Thank you for your words of encouragement Chicago Discus Josie :) Let's see how my tank develops over the next year.

btw i saw your vid "So what" and it was wayyy coool :bandana: Thanks for sharing!

dmheric
02-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Hi
Photo of blue looks good. How big is he now at one year old? I have a blue diamond about 6 months old, also, my first discus that almost didn't make it and is probably stunted. Took a bunch of medication and 90 degree temp. To get rid of the parasites. She is starting to grow now because I'm feeding several times a day.

GeauxDiscus
02-27-2015, 11:33 PM
Well, I have made many mistakes. Terrible ones as a matter of fact. ... I think the purpose of this forum is to not judge but to ask, learn, experiment and most of all to share the exciting challenges to keep discus.

Well said! I've killed more discus from stupidity than I still have alive. Just keep swimming!

John_Nicholson
02-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Glad you are still around. You are what this site is all about.......

-john

ericNH
02-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Hi
Photo of blue looks good. How big is he now at one year old? I have a blue diamond about 6 months old, also, my first discus that almost didn't make it and is probably stunted. Took a bunch of medication and 90 degree temp. To get rid of the parasites. She is starting to grow now because I'm feeding several times a day.

Blue is around 4.5 inches. I can tell by the size of his eye in relation to the the rest of his body that he is stunted. And I can also tell by the photos of other's discus that his profile isn't as circular as it should be. But, well, I don't think he is an eysore or anything like that - he is still beautiful to me and I am very happy to have him in my tank. He is kind of a smart-*** though. He has started doing this water-surface flip thing when I feed, I think to get the food out of my fingers faster, and makes a huge splash every time lol. Some of the others have started doing it too now! Wise-*** fish. I am glad to hear that you didn;t give up on yours; even if a little stunted, if she is otherwise healthy she can still grow to be a beautiful fish that will bring you much enjoyment! :)

ericNH
02-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Well said! I've killed more discus from stupidity than I still have alive. Just keep swimming!

That's right! Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming!

Love the sig.

ericNH
02-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Glad you are still around. You are what this site is all about.......

-john

Thank you John. As one of the most respected and active members on this site, it's super great to have soem words of encouragement coming from you. Give me another year and I'll show you pics of fish that even you might approve of :)

John_Nicholson
02-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Thank you John. As one of the most respected and active members on this site, it's super great to have soem words of encouragement coming from you. Give me another year and I'll show you pics of fish that even you might approve of :)

Better yet come to Chicago 2016 and we will sit around and talk fish.

-john

ericNH
03-01-2015, 02:58 AM
Deal.

dinnese
03-02-2015, 06:51 PM
Happy Birthday Mr Blue!!!

Lilly
03-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Blue is beautiful! Like a perfect mini discus:) Happy birthday Blue

ericNH
03-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Thank you dinnese and Lilly :) He IS a mini-discus lol. Obviously he made a great "starter" discus. If there was a strain like him, there would be alot more newbie success out there. He's definitely not high-maintenance.

ericNH
03-04-2015, 09:13 PM
just found an early pic of Blue:

ericNH
11-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Blue is filling out a bit. Had him almost 2 years now.

And a picture of Blue and Shady:

MatthewJanssen
11-14-2015, 06:25 PM
What's his size now? Is he over 5 inches now?

navarro1950
11-15-2015, 01:37 AM
What are the types of each of your beautiful discus ?

ericNH
11-15-2015, 10:20 AM
What's his size now? Is he over 5 inches now?

Well I haven't accurately measured him, but he's about 5 inches. I don't think he's any bigger than that.

What are the types of each of your beautiful discus ?

Thank you for the compliment navarro :) I believe that Blue is a blue diamond, and Shady is possibly a Brilliant Turquoise or maybe a Cobalt - I got them from a LFS, not a breeder, and the people in that store are far from experts on their discus. Their entire stock of discus slowly died over the course of about 6 months, and they haven't carried them since! So I don't know their exact strains.

I am still doing 50% water changes on my 125 gallon daily. Well, almost daily - I skip a day here and there ; This venture has been quite a commitment, but I love my fish.