PDA

View Full Version : need help!!

haile161
02-27-2015, 08:18 PM

I just saw this in my community tank but I dont know what to do. please give me some advice. thanks!

limige
02-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Either leave them be or get some plastic gutter gaurd and screen them off to see if they are viable. If they hatch you have a confirmed pair.

Start setting up a breeder tank for them if you want to breed. Breeding is rarely successful in a community tank.

haile161
02-27-2015, 08:28 PM
how to know which one is male which is female.

haile161
02-27-2015, 08:29 PM
should i do w/c as usual or something?

limige
02-27-2015, 08:49 PM
I will still water Change if I came but try not to go past the eggs. Male and female aren't so important just make sure you get the two involved. She'll keep laying eggs and you'll figure out which is the female.
these probably won't make it but that can tell you if you have a good male. Even if they dont hatch I would seperate them and let them practice.

haile161
02-27-2015, 10:58 PM
the fuji red is a female but he checkerboard pigeon and golden crystal are always around her so im not sure which one i male. should i seperate all three?

limige
02-28-2015, 12:09 AM
Up to you. Either pull the three or wait until next time.

Bill63SG
02-28-2015, 12:33 AM
Male and female aren't so important.

Uh,cant say I can agree with that.

SNap0283
02-28-2015, 02:23 PM
What size tank, and how many discus in it? Get a breeding cone and put it towards one end of the tank. The pair will probably claim it and lay again on there. It should become clear pretty quickly which two are the pair and then you can put them in their own tank to breed. Sometimes a pair breeding in a community tank can strengthen the bond and make them more likely to properly care of the babies. No reason to rush them out on their own.

rickztahone
02-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Before you do all of these things, first, let me ask you, do you plan on successfully breeding?

If you answered yes, then you can take on some of the advice given above. Separate them, put a cone in and use RO mixed water, but first, read up on breeding from our fellow members.

If you answered no, you can simply do nothing. Keep doing your water changes regularly, feeding the same, and do nothing out of the ordinary.

Breeding isn't something that everyone can do, and it isn't a walk in the park.

ericNH
02-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Sounds like a good straight answer

haile161
03-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Before you do all of these things, first, let me ask you, do you plan on successfully breeding?

If you answered yes, then you can take on some of the advice given above. Separate them, put a cone in and use RO mixed water, but first, read up on breeding from our fellow members.

If you answered no, you can simply do nothing. Keep doing your water changes regularly, feeding the same, and do nothing out of the ordinary.

Breeding isn't something that everyone can do, and it isn't a walk in the park.

is there no way to breed them with tap water? i dont have RO system. my tank is 60g and i have 7 discus.

rickztahone
03-01-2015, 10:39 PM
is there no way to breed them with tap water? i dont have RO system. my tank is 60g and i have 7 discus.

Yes, there are some areas in the US where the water is well suited for breeding from tap, however, this isn't the norm. You would have to post your parameters and members that know about breeding discus will have to chime in.