PDA

View Full Version : 1 Discus swimming quickly hitting everything all of the sudden

nvladik
03-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Please help. One of my adults suddenly started swimming very quickly all over the tank hitting the glass. At this point there's a large wound on his head and side. He did it first time about an hour ago, rested for a bit and then did it again. Filling in questioneer just in case:

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Explained above

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Darting, hitting driftwood/glass.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None yet

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

125g, 25 gallon sump, 10 adults.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

2x a week, 90%

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

1 year, sand substrate, 1".

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No. No PH swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 81

- ph 7.6

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 10

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water x - Prime.

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
No, nothing added to the system in 9 months.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

brewmaster15
03-05-2015, 01:51 PM
when you do a 90% water change do you get lots of micro bubbles in the tank?

al

nvladik
03-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Al I do, but I try to minimize it as much as possible. My python is bad, I need a new one. Is that the reason for the behaviour?

brewmaster15
03-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Sometimes air bubbles form on the gills and irritates them.the fish can dart in a panic...Ive noticed that not all fish in the tank are affected. If this darting is in response to air bubbles see if it happens when they are present..smaller more frequent wc may help.

Another possibility is flukes..do you ever see them flashing and rubbing on things?

Al

nvladik
03-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Haven't done a WC in 3 days, great idea Al but I don't it's responsible for it today. Nope, I never see them rubbing on anything.

Mean while I am working on a WC right now, get em cleaner water, hopefully they calm down a bit after.

brewmaster15
03-05-2015, 06:01 PM
Hmmm, like finding a needle in a haystack. can you post some pics of the tank and the fish in general as well as of the one with the darting issues?

al

nvladik
03-15-2015, 09:39 PM
Hi Al,

Thanks so much for all your help. So I figured out what the original problem was, and then I fell into recurring problems for the last week and a half trying to fix it. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the fish or the tank, so I had my water tested at the local LFS. Turns out my new API Nitrate test was bad, reporting 0ppm across the board (thus I was suspecting tank was perfect). Confirmed at the LFS Niteates were through the roof, bought a new test and re-confirmed with it nitrates are through the roof. So right away I performed a large water change, followed by another large water changes the next few days. Darting stopped, healing started. But I suspect the high nitrates caused all fish to become susceptible to sickness, as two days later after thinking everything was good, I woke up to one of the largest fish lying on the substrate not moving. I left him alone for another 24 hours just to see if there would be any recovery, but nothing changed and I moved him to a hospital tank with clean treated water, and started metro treatment at the recommended dosage.

24 hours later he started developing white fungus on the end of the tail which progressed since. I proceeded to make daily water changes and treatments for the last 5 days. Improvement is very slight. He kinda started moving around the tank, but still stays mostly on the bottom, fungus not going away. Please advise if my treatment is correct, I might have jumped the gun but metro was the only medication I had on hand at the moment. I am not sure if the white fuzz is the original issue that cause the distress, or the result of lying on the substate for 24 hours.

Thanks a lot for all your help once again!

nvladik
03-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Anybody have any thoughts on how I can treat him better? Appreciate any ideas at all, as metro barely seems to be doing anything.