PDA

View Full Version : Upset with my discus

drondy
03-05-2015, 01:07 PM
This is my first time raising discus and I have to admit that it was easier that I anticipated. They started at 2+ inches, four of them, and stayed in the grow out tank until they were 5+ inches. I enjoyed every minute feeding them and changing their water. They were very social and even ate out of my hand with no issue. When I came to the tank they came to me awaiting their food. Then they out grew the tank and it was time to move them to their final home, a planted 75 gallon tank which already supported some tetra tank mates. That is when it happened!!!

There social behavior went out the window. When I come in the room to feed them, they cower together in a safe place and shake their fins and start peppering (Pigeon blood). I feed them either beef heart or blood worms and they ignore it while I am in the room. This has been going on for over a month now and I am not sure what to do. The reason I got the in the first place is the enjoyment I get watching them swim gracefully around the tank. Now I am just upset that they are acting like this and it is no fun at all.

I am growing out another 4 more discus in another tank to go along with these. Maybe that will make them happy, but then again, maybe not. Am I doing something wrong? Is this typical? Help!!!

Dean

discuspaul
03-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Even though it's been a month Dean, your discus have spent the previous several months in a much smaller space, bare-bottomed - with no plants & no tank-mates. They were obviously comfortable with this.

Then with the move to a much larger space, and since they haven't previously been exposed to either a planted environment nor tank-mates, it seems that has caused them a good deal of stress.
Be patient, give them some more time to become accustomed & comfortable with their new surroundings.

You have 4 in that tank - adding another 4 of approx. the same size soon may just bring them out of their shell.
Good luck.

drondy
03-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Thanks Paul. I hope you are right. Dean

Second Hand Pat
03-05-2015, 02:34 PM
I bet your light over the tank is much brighter then the grow out tank?
Pat

brewmaster15
03-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Im leaning towards the tanks being too different and they are settling in still. Also pay attention to the location of the tank and room traffic, and room lighting. Sometimes lights make it hard for them to see when you approach and they get scared and flip out. Also try putting the lights on a timer so they come on before you are up and about in the morning and after you head off to bed. If they have been startled bad a few times they become stressed and skittish...and more prone to what you are seeing.

hth,
al

drondy
03-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Pat, you are right. I had two light over the tank and then removed one. It still is brighter that the other tank though. I need to have decent lighting for the plants. Is this a problem? They are on only 6 hours/day.

Dean

Second Hand Pat
03-05-2015, 02:50 PM
Hi Dean, there could be more to as Al mentioned above. How do the fish act when the lights are off? If they act the same then there is more to it then the lights.
Pat

drondy
03-05-2015, 03:24 PM
They do seem to be more relaxed when the lights are off. My concern is there avoidance of me and the food I give them while I am in the room. They do eventually eat after I have gone. They use to eat like pigs in the grow out tanks and now, not so much.

Dean

Second Hand Pat
03-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Have you tried large daily WCs?

drondy
03-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Pat, I have done several water changes and the discus freak out and become even more nervous. It is difficult this time of year in Michigan to make large water changes as we have been experiencing sub zero temps. I empty the water outside with a hose so this time of year I do the bucket brigade. I plan on doing another large water change on Sunday. I am at the mindset that they need to get used to it. Wich there was something I could do for them but I am at a loss.

Dean

tonytheboss1
03-05-2015, 07:39 PM
:bandana: I know your feelings are a little scorched right now Dean. You guys had a great relationship going for quite some time. But look thru the eyes of the Discus. The only home they've ever known is gone. Replaced w/ this huge foreign environment w/ neighbors unfamiliar, new lighting times & intensity & only 4 bodies in the gang. They need more time to adjust & more bodies to feel comfortable & confident. I understand the W/C difficulties of the season but squeeze as many of them in as often as you can. They have to become familiar again. Maybe a gradual increase in the lighting instead of darkness to "*BOOM*" light will ease the stress. Bottom line is it took a minute for you to gain their trust & it's gonna take a little longer for you to win it back cause YOU changed everything. Right now they are operating in 'defensive survival' mode. They are very unsure & cautious. Soon you'll see one or two be a bit more forward. If their numbers increase they will be more bold sooner. Time my friend, give em time. "T"

drondy
03-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Makes sense Tony, thanks

barkmanusd
03-06-2015, 09:52 AM
keep in mind, in the bare tank they didn't have an option to 'hide'. We see the plaanted tank as a luxury condo...they may feel it as just a new strange environment. Their first instinct may be to look for security.....
I use to raise my discus in a planted tank completely. Had this problem till a local breeder suggested I approach the tank slowly. Keep my face within a foot from the glass and wait there 2 - 3 minutes and then feed them while I was still visible to the fish.... Seemed weird to me but it allowed the fish to become accostomed to me in their environment. Worked really well!

drondy
03-06-2015, 01:06 PM
That sounds like a great idea Bark. I fed them last night and stayed at the tank to watch. Their fins were moving very fast as usual without movement. It took them a good 15 minutes to relax and then 3 of the four went to the beefheart. They seemed relaxed yet did not move the whole time I was there other that to eat the food. I think we are making progress.

Dean