PDA

View Full Version : Good Body shape at 3 inches ?

blueluv
03-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Can discus have good round shape at 3" ?

John_Nicholson
03-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Yes

-john

nc0gnet0
03-06-2015, 06:39 PM
But is it possible to project that into good body shape at 6"+?

Not always. Chances are if it has bad body shape it will not turn into good.
But good body shape at 3" can still develop flaws as it grows more as well.

oliverk
03-08-2015, 05:44 PM
great question ..... other similar for me would be when can you tell how big the fish will max out at? When will you see the final coloration? Do most seem to have a peak color at about 2-3 and then "fade a bit" or over develop by -3-4 and stabilize through the rest of their lives (still gorgeous but.....).

blueluv
03-09-2015, 08:31 PM
But is it possible to project that into good body shape at 6"+?

Not always. Chances are if it has bad body shape it will not turn into good.
But good body shape at 3" can still develop flaws as it grows more as well.
So it doesn't matter what body shape my 3" discus come in ? What matters is how I would care for them. As far as water changes and nutrition.

nc0gnet0
03-09-2015, 08:48 PM
So it doesn't matter what body shape my 3" discus come in ?

I didn't exactly mean it to be taken that way.

blueluv
03-09-2015, 08:59 PM

Hmm? What you're saying is that one cannot rule out the possibility ?

blueluv
03-09-2015, 09:50 PM
So it doesn't matter what body shape my 3" discus come in ? What matters is how I would care for them. As far as water changes and nutrition.

I think I worded this incorrectly. What I meant was if I received a discus at 3" with bad body shape , I can still help improve its body shape by WC's and good nutrition.

John_Nicholson
03-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Good care will always have a positive affect but good care cannot correct bad genetics. All you can do is to take good care of them and then see how they mature.

-john

nc0gnet0
03-10-2015, 10:09 AM
What I was trying to say is, you could have a perfectly shaped discus at three inches, give it the best of care, but that is still no guarantee that it will not develop certain characteristics that are deemed as less than desirable as it continues to grow. Certain things like an overly large forehead hump, a less than desirable shape (high body/elongated body), or even defects in the finnage could still develop.

However, have a perfectly shaped discus at 3" certainly does increase your odds :)

I am not so sure that you can take this and extrapolate it into the opposite however. A crappy discus at 3", despite the best of care, most likely will still be a crappy discus at 6". It might improve, but it is highly unlikely it will do so to a great degree.

Rick

nc0gnet0
03-10-2015, 10:10 AM
What I meant was if I received a discus at 3" with bad body shape , I can still help improve its body shape by WC's and good nutrition.

It's really more a factor of genetics than anything. Although bad water and bad food will stunt its growth.

blueluv
03-10-2015, 10:35 AM
I understand now. Thank you John and Rick for your feedback. I appreciate it