PDA

View Full Version : vinegar to lower PH

brady
03-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Is vinegar ok to lower PH? I understand that experiments would have to be performed to reach the target PH.
Jay

Len
03-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Not so much. Unless there's usually no need to lower the pH of your water. My suggestio would be to leave the pH alone, but If you MUST, then use either phosphoric acid or hydrochloric (muriatic) acid. Be aware though that hydrochloric is very vaporous and breathing it will burn so you need to be very careful. Phosphoric is much easier. You'll likely find it in a hydroponics shop. Also if you do decide to try it, always adjust the pH in your change water and make sure it is stable before adding it to the tank. Adding acids of any kind directly to the tank is very risky and your pH can drop very suddenly and cause harm quickly before you realize the harm has been done.

Altum Nut
03-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Agree with Len to leave the ph alone but if you must.....
Just want to add to Len's post regarding use of muriatic acid....always add acid to water not the other way around. Never add full strength acid directly into aquarium. It's best to mix 10 parts water to 1 part acid in a separate container where glass jar is recommended. I've used it successfully for fish direct from wild where I required 4.5 ph. but later acclimatized gradually to regular tap.

...Ralph

limige
03-10-2015, 01:17 AM
I wouldn't recommend muriatic acid at all. it has no buffering and is very dangerous in many aspects. I hear phosphoric is the way to go. as mentioned its not necessary to mess with, adds more head aches than anything

DiscusLoverJeff
03-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Brady,

Focus on stabilizing your TDS, PH has little concern for discus.

brady
03-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys for all the info, but, I don't play around with PH adjustment. I probably should have worded my question differently. I was merely curious about using vinegar.
But I was surprised by some of the answers. Especially using phosphoric and muriatic acids which are pretty strong stuff as opposed to using viegar. Why is vinegar not good to use? Again, just curious.
Jay

brewmaster15
03-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys for all the info, but, I don't play around with PH adjustment. I probably should have worded my question differently. I was merely curious about using vinegar.
But I was surprised by some of the answers. Especially using phosphoric and muriatic acids which are pretty strong stuff as opposed to using viegar. Why is vinegar not good to use? Again, just curious.
Jay

Jay,
Trying to find uses for a bad batch of homemade made vino? LOL .Vinegar is technically not going hurt anything but you may have a fruit fly problem after using it! :) The thing is vinegar is actually a very very weak acid (weak acetic acid) you would needs lots of it to affect most water to any degree. Using Muriatic acid or Phosphoric acid is whats more commonly done. I have always used Muriatic acid, which though strong is diluted Hydrochloric acid. It will consume your waters buffer though so it must be carefully titrated.

As Ralph said... never do this in a tank,always in a storage bucket with aged water and an accurate pH meter.. with safety glasses and gloves.. acids can splutter and pop when added to water as the reaction can be intense.

hth,
al

navarro1950
03-23-2015, 04:41 AM
Bad batch of vino and olive oil = salad dressing .

RogueDiscus
03-23-2015, 12:52 PM
I use to use the granulated "pH Down" swimming pool acid, sodium bisulfate, but I don't mess with pH anymore. Any ideas whether it's OK to use, beyond it never seemed to cause me a problem and is not necessary?

nikond70s
03-23-2015, 01:25 PM
like other said if u must lower PH use muriatic acid. i have used that in the past with certain fish that requires low ph upon receiving. and had success with it. but very powerful and dangerous stuff so handle with care with that stuff.

pitdogg2
03-23-2015, 01:37 PM
I use to use the granulated "pH Down" swimming pool acid, sodium bisulfate, but I don't mess with pH anymore. Any ideas whether it's OK to use, beyond it never seemed to cause me a problem and is not necessary?

used to use it often in the aquarium. It will not hurt the fish per-say but it can go way beyond what you want so CAUTION as it can drop like a rock and that will harm your fish.