PDA

View Full Version : seachem flousih excel

Blademan
03-09-2015, 01:43 AM
I just recieved some seachem flourish excel, is this safe to use in my discus tank, i am trying to get the plants growing better, as they are starting to look a bit raggy with algea growing on the leaves, I have cut down on time the lights are on also.

a.person61
03-09-2015, 02:09 AM
If you have probloms with algy on your plants the best thing to do is gently wipe it with some paper towel, works for me. As fare as will the flousih hurt your discus, at the end of the day it's another chemical. But they wouldnt sell it if it hurt fish. If I was you sence discus are rather sensitive I would try and stay away from adding any chemicals to the water but if you must I would put less then what you need and keep a very close eye on the fish

Blademan
03-09-2015, 02:44 AM
If you have probloms with algy on your plants the best thing to do is gently wipe it with some paper towel, works for me. As fare as will the flousih hurt your discus, at the end of the day it's another chemical. But they wouldnt sell it if it hurt fish. If I was you sence discus are rather sensitive I would try and stay away from adding any chemicals to the water but if you must I would put less then what you need and keep a very close eye on the fish

I hear what your saying regarding wiping off the algae, I have already cut down on the amount of time the main lights are on, I might try the flourish in my comunity tank first, to see first if the fish are ok, and second see if there is improvements in the plants.

a.person61
03-09-2015, 05:07 AM
I hear what your saying regarding wiping off the algae, I have already cut down on the amount of time the main lights are on, I might try the flourish in my comunity tank first, to see first if the fish are ok, and second see if there is improvements in the plants.

Check how much your feeding them if turning off the light don't work, as well consider getting a UV filter they basicly kill the algy before it grows. Have you tried root tabs?

pitdogg2
03-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Excel will not hurt them at the dose required. I use it with my Discus only difference is my plants are in clay pots with fluorite on a bare bottom tank.

manbearpig
03-10-2015, 01:25 AM
Used it in the past with no negative effect at full dosage. I believe you will be fine.

Blademan
03-10-2015, 05:26 AM
Used it in the past with no negative effect at full dosage. I believe you will be fine.

Thanks I will give it a go

jmf3460
03-10-2015, 09:31 AM
also metricide is an alternative for excel and is half the price at half the dosage so half the amount will last you twice as long. its a cleaning supply. weird I know

pancakeswim
03-10-2015, 04:14 PM
I am using one capful every 2-3 days in my heavily planted 70G. I am also running a 24W Green Killing Machine UV sterilizer. I had planned on only using the sterilizer occasionally, but I think I may run it 12hr/day.

Blademan
03-11-2015, 12:40 AM
I am using one capful every 2-3 days in my heavily planted 70G. I am also running a 24W Green Killing Machine UV sterilizer. I had planned on only using the sterilizer occasionally, but I think I may run it 12hr/day.
how long have you been using the flourish and have you noticed a differance in your plants

gunnerschh2
03-11-2015, 04:20 PM
I use flourish twice a week in a150 heavily planted tank for years with good results. My swords do way better with plant tabs every 3 months also. The discus do not seem to mind. Also i add a little iron once a week

DiscusDirect
03-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Hi All,
I have a question in regards to using Osmocoat as a fertilizer for planted tanks with discus. I currently use excel every two days or so, and Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium once every one or two weeks, but I've done some reading on other sites that calm Osmocoate provides better nutrition and is less expensive than plant tabs in the long run. I would like to know if anyone on SD has any experience with this product, and can provide some pros and cons for using osmocoat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Gill

jmf3460
03-23-2015, 09:26 AM
I use Osmocote + tabs in all my planted tanks. Its the best of the best when it comes to plants of all types. and it is perfectly safe for your discus and any other fish of that type. I use them in the little pill caplets and I put them down under the roots of my plants once a month or so. swords, crypts and other root based plants really really appreciate these.

pitdogg2
03-23-2015, 03:07 PM
I use Osmocote + tabs in all my planted tanks. Its the best of the best when it comes to plants of all types. and it is perfectly safe for your discus and any other fish of that type. I use them in the little pill caplets and I put them down under the roots of my plants once a month or so. swords, crypts and other root based plants really really appreciate these.

This is really good to know thanks man!!

rickztahone
03-23-2015, 04:24 PM
You've been receiving a lot of solutions, but in reality what you need to do is address the main problem. Why are you getting algae? In well balanced planted tanks, algae typically isn't a huge a problem. What is your photo period? Are you dry dosing? Root tabs? injected co2?

DiscusDirect
03-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Hi Jacklyn,
Thank you so much for the information on Osmocote, the gel caps that you use, do they leave a residue when they dissolve in the water? I think I’ am going to pick up some Osmocote and try it. Can you recommend a particular type of Osmocote?

Gill

jmf3460
03-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Blademan,

Osmocote + make sure to get the plus. it looks like this 85904. The clear gel caps dissolve in days and the osmocote is slowly released under the roots of your plants. To be honest buying them separately is kind of tedious work filling each gel cap. You can buy them already in the caps on aquabid for cheap. I usually get mine already capped from a guy on www.theplantedtank.net...another forum I am active on.

Pardal
03-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Osmocote must be better for you if you maintain a regular water change regimen (every day) like most discus keepers then you are wasting your excel pretty much. excel is prove it won't harm your discus.

DiscusDirect
03-24-2015, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the info Jacklyn, I will definitely buy some.

DiscusDirect
03-24-2015, 11:18 PM
I agree WCs are needed on a regular basis.

jmf3460
03-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Blademan, while I do agree that dosing the water column for your plants is kind of pointless when doing so many water changes I do not agree that dosing excel is a waste. If you dose your excel directly after a water change, it will be all used up by the plants and algae by the time you do your next water change. The same with fertilizers to an extent but with ferts its easier to just dose in the substrate using root tabs (osmocote)

pitdogg2
03-25-2015, 02:38 PM
If you dose your excel directly after a water change, it will be all used up by the plants and algae by the time you do your next water change.

That is exactly what Seachem told me in a phone call I made to them to get the low down on weather or not carbon and phosgard usage would be a waste of time and money.

5ZVP
03-25-2015, 05:38 PM
You've been receiving a lot of solutions, but in reality what you need to do is address the main problem. Why are you getting algae? In well balanced planted tanks, algae typically isn't a huge a problem. What is your photo period? Are you dry dosing? Root tabs? injected co2?

exactly what I was thinking.

Blademan
05-13-2015, 01:50 AM
Used the flourish, saw no visible benifit at all, wont use again

bamzam
05-13-2015, 02:29 AM
Don't mean to change subject, but what is that digital thing in the top right of your tank?

Blademan
05-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Its a digital display for temperture, you can also set functions on a timer (when to turn on UV lights things like that)

A lot of the Tanks in China are fairly high tech, all sumps and filters are built in ready to go, fully intergrated, I dont think this is the case so much in Canada or USA, as the posts I read everybody has to build sumps drill tanks ect, I may be wrong but just the feeling I get reading on the forums

metsfan421
05-15-2015, 02:19 AM
Yep, don't remember seeing anything like that here in the USA.

dprais1
05-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Used the flourish, saw no visible benifit at all, wont use again

flourish is just a fertilizer so I don't expect you would, excel is a source of carbon and would provide more benefit. The main thing is--you have slow growing plants that don't really need either. if you had more "stem" plants excel especially would be beneficial, even if it is to just control algae

Twistofer
05-17-2015, 05:55 PM
By the way, Blademan, I really like your tank.

PS: You can get custom designed tanks with all the tech built in, but $$$$$. It's cheaper to DIY.

Blademan
05-17-2015, 08:38 PM
By the way, Blademan, I really like your tank.

PS: You can get custom designed tanks with all the tech built in, but $$$$$. It's cheaper to DIY.

Thanks i think this cost about $600 delivered and set up

Blademan
05-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Thanks i think this cost about $600 delivered and set up

more recent picture

rickztahone
05-17-2015, 09:24 PM
Really nice tank! I really like it. TFS

Blademan
05-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Really nice tank! I really like it. TFS

Thanks the photos were not the best, I just wanted to try show the entire tank

jmf3460
06-11-2015, 11:51 AM
BEAUTIFUL!!! Great job Blademan!! Man that sure is some crystal clear water you have got there. You know what that tank would look good with?? Some light tannins!!