PDA

View Full Version : how to sex discus

spud1987
03-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Hi all im a new to keeping discus and just wanted to no whats the best way to tell male and female and how to tell if there pairing up please

John_Nicholson
03-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Having them successfully spawn is the only fool proof method. After being around them for years you can make an educated guess but a guess is all it is. You can find all kinds of stuff on the net about it and all of those methods works bout 50% of the time.

-john

haile161
03-12-2015, 07:50 PM

haile161
03-12-2015, 07:51 PM

John_Nicholson
03-12-2015, 10:17 PM
The 2 above diagrams will be right about 50% of the time.....

-john

nc0gnet0
03-12-2015, 10:37 PM
The 2 above diagrams will be right about 50% of the time.....

-john

lol, I think tossing a coin would be more acurate

XAnhLe
03-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Tried it all... head shape, fin shape, breeding tube, tail, aggression, reputable breeder, etc. They all have the same chance of being right, 50%.

The only way you can sex discus is observing discus spawning. One drop the eggs and the other may fertilizing the eggs or dropping more eggs. If the eggs are all unfertilized, then you have two females, if you see wigglers 3 days later then you have a female and other assumed to be male.

nc0gnet0
03-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Seeing the tubes in person ( I still struggle looking at pics) is pretty accurate. I do have an active stud male discus that is pretty dam accurate at sexing for me. Drop a new fish in his tank and watch his reaction, if it is a female he will start courting her like crazy, if it's a male, all hell breaks loose.

XAnhLe
03-13-2015, 12:58 AM
Seeing the tubes in person ( I still struggle looking at pics) is pretty accurate. I do have an active stud male discus that is pretty dam accurate at sexing for me. Drop a new fish in his tank and watch his reaction, if it is a female he will start courting her like crazy, if it's a male, all hell breaks loose.

I tried to look at the tubes and couldn't tell them apart. I need one of those males! LOL

John_Nicholson
03-13-2015, 08:21 AM

I had Dennis H. in Oregon make the same claim to me one time with one of his old males and 6 really nice new wilds he had gotten in. I told him that I thought they were both males....he disagreed until they stopped cleaning the cone together and each pair successfully with females.....LOL

-john

nc0gnet0
03-13-2015, 09:22 AM
I had Dennis H. in Oregon make the same claim to me one time with one of his old males and 6 really nice new wilds he had gotten in. I told him that I thought they were both males....he disagreed until they stopped cleaning the cone together and each pair successfully with females.....LOL

-john

Well,

I do have to admit, the one time I have seen this fail is when I got a pair of blue Snakeskins that had spent a significant amount of time in Texas.......Both males and you would have swore they were a pair.

Not quite sure what to make of this.....

Must be a Texas thing.......

-Rick

spud1987
03-13-2015, 01:20 PM
Cheers for the replys i guess i just wait and see lol i really wish im able to see wrigglers soon:)

John_Nicholson
03-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Well Dennis was in Oregon and his fish had never been to Texas.....So as normal your logic is flawed......

Well,

I do have to admit, the one time I have seen this fail is when I got a pair of blue Snakeskins that had spent a significant amount of time in Texas.......Both males and you would have swore they were a pair.

Not quite sure what to make of this.....

Must be a Texas thing.......

-Rick