PDA

View Full Version : Variation in size

brady
03-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Is it inevitable that when you purchase a group of juvie discus, let's say 6, that some when they mature will be 6" or so and that some will be 4" given that they were all raised under the same exact conditions ? Should only the larger ones be bred if your lucky to have a pair? Also, has anyone raised a batch where all of them grew to the 6-6 1/2 range?
Jay

Tankster
03-13-2015, 04:11 PM
This was the case for me. I started with 10, 2.5" discus. I had one that grew rather quickly and was the tank boss. Over time, 4 other fish have passed him up and are now larger. I ended up with one that has not grown past 3.5' and the other under-performer is maybe 4".

Breeding, from what I understand has nothing to do with the size of your particular fish but the fishes genetics. For example, you get great stock and grow it in less than ideal conditions. It only achieves 5 inches. Someone takes this same fish, moves it to an ideal environment and breeds it in perfect water conditions. The resulting fry are raised in perfect conditions - these fry are not going to be limited by it's parents 5" size but rather its genetic potential.

John_Nicholson
03-13-2015, 04:58 PM
What you are seeing is normal. I have raised an entire group to 6+ inches but it is not the norm.

-john