PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on setting up a breeder

we4wieners
03-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Ok, so I have a 29g, a cone, and an unseeded sponge filter, heater, etc.
1. Can I fill the tank with tank water, prime, cone, sponge filter, and a good size bag of seeded media?
2.If so, can I add the pair immediately? Any advice in regards to this transition would be really appreciate.
3. Should I drop bag of seeded biomedia directly into the bb tank?
I'm really excited about this and want to be patient and do it right. The pair have laid eggs several times. The last time they had wigglers and were eaten pretty fast in the community tank.

we4wieners
03-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Also, the pair is a checkeeboard pigeon and a green turq.

Second Hand Pat
03-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Also, the pair is a checkeeboard pigeon and a green turq.

Do you realize this is not a great pairing? a PB with a non-PB.

we4wieners
03-17-2015, 08:49 PM
I do, but I'm doing it to learn and I have quite a few folks interested in some juvies. Just looking to get some help from those who have the experience.

Second Hand Pat
03-17-2015, 09:00 PM
Fair enough. Just wanted to mention it just in case. :D Why don't you seed your sponge filter in the community tank for a couple weeks prior to moving the pair into the breeding tank?
Pat

rickztahone
03-17-2015, 09:00 PM
I do, but I'm doing it to learn and I have quite a few folks interested in some juvies. Just looking to get some help from those who have the experience.

I would really reconsider breeding these discus together. Even if you have potential buyers, you are going to be getting very peppered muts.

we4wieners
03-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Fair enough. Just wanted to mention it just in case. :D Why don't you seed your sponge filter in the community tank for a couple weeks prior to moving the pair into the breeding tank?
Pat
That's probably the best option. I have the filter in my DT now. Will 3 weeks suffice?

we4wieners
03-17-2015, 09:37 PM
I would really reconsider breeding these discus together. Even if you have potential buyers, you are going to be getting very peppered muts.

I won't sell them. I'm sorry if that's what I posted. I'll give them away. I'm not familiar enough our have the knowledge of how to pair up specific fish. I'm just going with what nature is offering me in my tank. Once I learn and educate myself then I may have the ability to pick and choose my pairs. I'm trying to learn through this process. I'm not trying to create beautiful fish. I'm just trying to help my fish follow through with what they have started and hoping to learn in the process. I have to admit it's kind troubling that I asked for some help and knowledge and I'm catching slack for the lack of beauty that may be produced. Personally, some strains are prettier than others but the unique behavior is what draws me most to these fish. I appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions. However, I am attracted to the fish not necessarily the most beautiful ones.

SNap0283
03-18-2015, 01:32 AM
Seeding a filter for 3 weeks is plenty to move it into a breeder setup.

brewmaster15
03-18-2015, 07:18 AM
Ok, so I have a 29g, a cone, and an unseeded sponge filter, heater, etc.
1. Can I fill the tank with tank water, prime, cone, sponge filter, and a good size bag of seeded media?
2.If so, can I add the pair immediately? Any advice in regards to this transition would be really appreciate.
3. Should I drop bag of seeded biomedia directly into the bb tank?
I'm really excited about this and want to be patient and do it right. The pair have laid eggs several times. The last time they had wigglers and were eaten pretty fast in the community tank.

Yes you can do all of that Just do lots of water changes and place an airlne into the bag of media so water can get circulated through it.

Since you know that pigeons crossed with NonPigeons are usually undesireable be prepared to cull responsibly if the offspring come out looking terrible.Giving them away is not good for the hobby. But if you are going to go through with this cross....theres a chance not all the fry will be peppered . It depends on the genetics of that checkerboard Pigeon. Please consider starting a thread in the Experimental Section of the forum and document this cross and your frys development . At the very least the community can use it as a reference point for future would be breeders looking to do the same.

Good luck!
Al

we4wieners
03-18-2015, 08:43 AM
I will start that thread. Thank you.