PDA

View Full Version : Canopy in Acrylic Tank

Pardal
03-19-2015, 02:49 AM
Hi Simply
So I 'm planning to use my 48" canopy that used to be in a 90gallon tank (glass) in my new 150 tall gallon display acrylic.
My question is we know acrylic tops tend to sag and maybe because the heat produce for the lights and canopy weight it won't be good idea.
I only had acrylic tanks in medium size before. all my bigger tanks were always glass.
I do preffer the classic look, furnuture type with Canopy for the living room display. Or should I go with the modern look like hanging or in a pedestal away a few inches from the top because is an acrylic tank.
If anyone can give me inputs I will appreciate it .

Julian

Second Hand Pat
03-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Hi Julian,

Are you referring to the actual acrylic top (which is part of the tank) or the covers for the openings in the top. For me I get the cheap plexiglass from Home Depot large enough to cover the openings and yes, these do bow and sag. However the actual top of the tank should never bow or sag due to water or heat. Also you will need covers for those openings to keep your canopy from collecting water inside the canopy. To answer your question; yes, you can use the canopy from your 90 on your new 150.

Pat

Pardal
03-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks Pat
Yes I was talking about the removable covers cheap ones for the openings , ussually I open holes on it to grab them and flipping it around every month or so.so it correct itself for the sagging.
But I was affraid of the weight of the canopy over the frame, with the relative warmer temperatures.
I guess I go classic then.:)
Julian.