PDA

View Full Version : WC Frequency for Adult Discus in a 190 gal tank

Thomas79
03-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if I can get away with a 50% water change every two weeks if I plan to keep 5 adult discus (all male) with some community fish like cory catfish and some tetra in a 190 gallon aquarium with a 40 gallon sump.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Thomas

warblad79
03-20-2015, 07:39 PM
No, for me I won't do it. Regular WC is better than filtration. Don't take your chances or else you'll lose precious fish.

sdrexler078
03-20-2015, 08:03 PM
I agree. I have 12 in a 230 with 55 gallon sump and I notice a difference in their behavior if I skip more than 2 days. They don't get sick but they just dont seem as happy

Bill63SG
03-20-2015, 08:12 PM
I have a 180 and I try to do atleast 90% once a week but I prefer to do it twice a week.

Reesj
03-21-2015, 04:05 AM
Will depend a lot on what you feed them and if the tank how much plants and cleaning crew you have!

XAnhLe
03-21-2015, 04:48 AM
The rule I use is 5 gallon per fish per day. For 5 fish, you would need to change 25 gallons of water per day. 50% of 190G would be 95 gallons, so you can probably get away with 50% every 4 days. Assuming you are not feeding beefheart because that stuff is messy, so daily water change is necessary.

Andy27012
03-21-2015, 11:23 AM
I started out doing weekly wc's until I. Started doing wcs every couple of days. Now I do them as often as I can, I have a pair of snake skin pigeon bloods, before they were standard orange with white striations. Now after upping the wcs they have the same orange color with dark black fins and blue fluorescent lines. My point being no one on this forum can tell you if they will be ok, the only real way to tell is to do bi daily wcs for a couple of weeks and see what the fish should look like. Then back off wcs, once they start losing vividness you know you need. To up wcs. I would bet this happens before the two week mark.

Reesj
03-21-2015, 11:30 AM
BTW get some good plant growth going with decent substrate with good clean-up crew. Also a nice sump system going with the 40 gallon you have and you can easily pull it off! Specially considering you have only 5 discus and they are adults. But rememberer to feed them with stuff that are not that messy. I'll just leave this video here . Check how often he clean his display tank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdrtVYBQDY&t=423

PS:- People here feed junk that dissolves in water and keep things on very safe side even for adults. Heck you can do even 100% water change 2x per day. But is it really necessary ? Not really if you can observe and get soem idea of the fish!

Second Hand Pat
03-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Yup, seen that video. Question to ask is what the turnover of discus is in that tank. :p
Pat

DiscusRob
03-21-2015, 03:29 PM
"PS:- People here feed junk that dissolves in water and keep things on very safe side even for adults"

Reesj, what food are you referring to? I'm curious.

DiscusRob
03-21-2015, 03:30 PM
"PS:- People here feed junk that dissolves in water and keep things on very safe side even for adults"

Reesj, what food are you referring to? I'm curious.

Reesj
03-21-2015, 03:37 PM
I'm referring to beef heart mix! Specially once that people don;t even put gelatine in! I know how much it pollute water specially since I started to feed mine a chicken heart mix(Few meals before water changing days) to cut back the costs! IT might be good in nutrients but it will pollute the water compared to many many quality discus food you can purchase.

DiscusRob
03-21-2015, 03:41 PM
I'm referring to beef heart mix! Specially once that people don;t even put gelatine in! I know how much it pollute water specially since I started to feed mine a chicken heart mix(Few meals before water changing days) to cut back the costs! IT might be good in nutrients but it will pollute the water compared to many many quality discus food you can purchase.

That's why the water change routines that are recommended by the advanced hobbyist/breeders here should be followed, beef heart can/will grow out some beautiful discus, I'd prefer to listen to the people who do and have grown out some very awesome fish. JMHO

Reesj
03-21-2015, 03:54 PM
That's why the water change routines that are recommended by the advanced hobbyist/breeders here should be followed, beef heart can/will grow out some beautiful discus, I'd prefer to listen to the people who do and have grown out some very awesome fish. JMHO

AS I said before you can do even 100% water change 2x per day even! I say go for it.

rickztahone
03-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Everyone, please try to keep conversation civil. There is no need for name calling one another.

warblad79
03-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Some people chose to feed beef heart mix simply because they are cheaper and high in protein. the downside is, it pollute the water easily and can be smelly but with high tech water changing system that won't be no problem. There are some alternative food that won't easily pollute the water, I fed my discus premium beef heart flakes with blackworm even for few feeding the water is not very smelly and does not cloud the water. I'll probably stay away from frozen beef heart mix if WC is an issue.

tonytheboss1
03-28-2015, 09:29 PM
:bandana: Everyones routine is gonna vary cause no one has the exact same situation. What is necessary for one setup might not be as critical for another. I've narrowed my routine to 80% every 4 days & it works just fine. Nitrates stay super low, water is crystal & discus are well. "T"

MKD
03-29-2015, 02:40 AM
You can choose not to do frequent WC , it's up to you. To me, its very important how my discus look like when full grown. I had trouble feeding BH with 2x 80% per week on my 300gallon bare bottom with 75g sump. Ihave to wc and feed little less to balance my schedule. I like a member suggest to start with frequent WC,then slowly adjust it but you pay close attention to every single one.