PDA

View Full Version : What is this discus?

AlgaeQueen
03-21-2015, 04:05 AM
Just a simple question. I don't know how to tell if this stunted fish is a melon or a Marlboro or whatever else there is.

Larry Bugg
03-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Yes, it is very stunted. It is a pigeon based red. Could be a fire red, marlboro or any other names.

AlgaeQueen
03-21-2015, 04:23 PM
Yeah he's pretty much an almond/football with fins. I just got him. Poor thing was raised in 77 degrees!
Surprised hes so healthy.

Larry, how do you tell if something is pigeon based or not?
I was reading about it, and apparently Marlboros have white patches.
But when they don't have any white, how do You tell?
Is it the peppering?

Zoey

nc0gnet0
03-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Yeah he's pretty much an almond/football with fins. I just got him. Poor thing was raised in 77 degrees!

You did QT him correct? Not just plop him in with your healthy stock?

-Rick

AlgaeQueen
03-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Yes he was qt for over a month.

tonytheboss1
03-23-2015, 04:14 AM
:bandana: Stunted? Strong possibility. Strain? My guess is a red melon of some sort. Hard to be certain what w/ so many crosses available. "T"

jmf3460
03-23-2015, 09:21 AM
he is well fed in this pic that is for sure. Good job to rescue him, who knows what he will look like after months of TLC.

DISCUS STU
03-23-2015, 10:20 AM
It's one of those Melon / Pigeon Blood Strains. The names are all over the place anyway. Of course the lack of stress bars is also a good indicator.

steck
03-24-2015, 01:08 PM
AlgaeQueen, totally off topic, and hi-jacking this thread, but is your avatar a "Milen" ??

i had to do a double take when i saw it ! if it is, cool ! i have 3 !!

AlgaeQueen
03-25-2015, 05:17 AM
Hey steck,

Not sure what it is, the signature looks like a Leonard alrimmmmoof lol
I honestly wouldn't be able to make it out even if my life depended on it ha!
But I love oils! Love em all!

Thx jacklyn! The lil guy perked up quite a bit since he came into my hands.
He's also grown quite a bit. I purposefully threw him in with the red Turk fry so he gets 5 meals a day.
Spinach, Aussie blackworms, Cali blackworms, hikari pellets, shrimp, bloodworms, and my homemade baby brine shrimp jello. I'm still hesitant on beef heart, it reeks... Lol

Thx for everyone's replies!
Now would anyone tell me what would the babies look like if this red marlboro/melon was crossed with a red pearl pigeon?

Zoey