PDA

View Full Version : Help- Do paint fumes affect discus fish

leoferns
03-22-2015, 02:43 AM
Hey guys, the building I reside in is getting painted. Since my tanks are near my widow and close to a grill was wondering if paint fumes are toxic for discus fish. They are going to use oil paint to paint the grills and use latex based paint for the walls. Please advice regarding the same. Can't move the tanks elsewhere as the entire building is being painted. Thanks.

Altum Nut
03-22-2015, 10:51 AM
I have not personally been in this situation and don't think any chemical fumes are the best to either humans or wild life including our loved aquarium friends. The key is ventilation...more-so for you. If the fumes bother you it may also have an effect on your fish. Keep windows open and if possible I would have a fan blowing towards the aquarium. Make sure the aquarium lid is tight fitted and again for your safety protect yourself first making sure where you sleep is well ventilated.
Oil based paints are nasty for odor but have improved over the years.

Hope this helps my friend,
...Ralph

brady
03-22-2015, 12:41 PM
You don't say if this is in your apartment or or the outside. If outside keep windows closed and obviously if inside open with fan.
If inside I would shut off your air supply until you felt the fumes have dissipated . They will use latex which dissipates rather quickly.
Jay

I would shut off your air supply