PDA

View Full Version : NextReef MR1 as Purigen Reactor

Fishquake
03-24-2015, 10:26 AM
I know there has been some discussion on how to use Purigen in a reactor because of the small size of the granules. I've recently decided to try it in a the MR1 reactor and I think I am having some pretty good results so far. There has been no leakage of the granules into the aquarium. I've simply installed a valve to modulate the flow into the reactor. Perhaps, I don't having it tumbling sufficiently. Please see link below.

https://youtu.be/_ulrZmsEZsk

pitdogg2
03-24-2015, 01:40 PM
that is AWESOME!! Man you would be wrong that is tumbling perfect. I use a lifegard Bio filter that I replaced the sand with purigen. Mine only has about 20-30gal an hour going through it and I must be really careful as it will flow right into the nylon stocking.

I have a liter of purigen in mine, how much in yours that thing looks huge.

Fishquake
03-24-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks Ivan! I'm running 2 liters in there.

Discus-n00b
03-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Looks like a dang good tumble to me too. You basically want a slow boil look to it so I'd say its fairly close to that, could probably even turn it down some and be ok. Just see what works over time. I look forward to seeing your results with this.

afriend
03-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Fishquake,

You have it fluidized perfectly, couldn't be better. How big a tank and what are the number and size of your fish? Two liters of Purigen is a huge amount. Purigen is not cheap, must cost you a few bucks.

I'm interested in why you are using it and what you expect to accomplish.

Paul

pitdogg2
03-24-2015, 04:22 PM
I use mine to suck out the nastiness from my public water supply. Not that my city water is THAT bad but why not it works. When I recharge it it flows so freely that I must really turn down the pressure or it just pukes right into the output sock, but by 3 months it is so heavy with contaminates that I have it half way up to get it to fluidize. When I recharge the water looks like something out of a water pipe that has not been changed in weeks. very yellow brown if you catch my drift.

My water change tank is 45 gal and that fluid filter and an XP3 filled with Seachem phosguard, Carbon, pura nitrate resin and last but not least the biggest dual sponge you can buy ran by a power head. I use no water conditioner in it and the daily water changes I do I have never tested positive for Nitrate, Chloramine or ammonia after 24hrs.

Fishquake
03-24-2015, 04:34 PM
I like the fact that it is able to remove nitrogenous organic waste, (sort of like a skimmer would in a marine aquarium) and I love the way it polishes the water. Discus look like they are floating in air. I have (what I hope) are a breeding pair of six inch Stendker Fire Reds in a 110 gallon tank and though I do daily high percentage water changes, it really offers me great peace of mind. Yes, this stuff is not cheap, that's why I have to hide the receipts from my wife.

Chaz88
03-24-2015, 05:42 PM
Do you use Purigen to replace the bio filter or in conjunction with it?

Fishquake
03-24-2015, 07:16 PM
Absolutely use bio and mechanical filtration.

ESXiGuy
05-26-2015, 12:07 AM
What do you do when its time to regenerate the purigen?

afriend
05-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Absolutely use bio and mechanical filtration.

Agree with this completely.

What do you do when its time to regenerate the purigen?

Regenerating purigen is pretty easy. Place the used purigen in a jar and add a 50/50 mix of bleach and water, enough to cover the purigen and a little more. Stir and let it sit overnight (stir a couple more times). The next day, stir and let it settle and then carefully pour of the bleach solution. Rinse it several times by adding water, allowing it to settle, and pour off the rinse water. I rinse it about 10 times.

Keep regenerated purigen wet if you don't plan on reusing it right away. If the purigen dries out the beads will crack and split.

SeaChem claims that regenerated purigen will lose about 10% of its effectiveness each time it is regenerated.

Use only pure bleach, without perfume or sodium hydroxide. Would recommend that the bleach be tested to assure that it does NOT contain sodium hydroxide by placing it in a jar and shaking. The bubbles will immediately dissipate providing that it does NOT have sodium hydroxide.

I've been using purigen in a reactor for a few years now and getting really good results.

Hope this helps.

Paul

ESXiGuy
06-09-2015, 04:56 AM
Is this just a regular NextReef MR1? Seems much more monstrous in size than the MR1 that I have.

I have an MR1 reactor and the purigen but running into two problems:

1 -Purigen is leaking into the tank. Any ideas on how to keep this from happening? It's really small so it blows right through the foam donut that comes with the MR1.

2 - I don't have a sump, so the output needs to go right into the tank. Any advice on how to best plumb the intake and output? Any part ideas would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for the help.