PDA

View Full Version : Tank just sprung a leak!

Mongo77
03-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Just walked in and so my 44 gallon tank spraying water midway up from a seam. What are my options as I don't have another tank to put the fish. Can I reseal it with the water below the hole or should I try to get a matching tank. It's not a common size.

Chaz88
03-24-2015, 07:10 PM
I would move the fish to an emergency tank, big Rubbermaid containers work well. Then I would take the tank down and reseal it. The only other option, in my opinion, is to buy a new tank.

Discus-n00b
03-24-2015, 07:16 PM
To reseal properly you would have to have it dry and let it set before refilling....unless someone else knows another way/trick. You can put the fish in a large rubbermaid or something similar for the time being until you reseal or get a new tank.

Mongo77
03-24-2015, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I don't think I would trust the reseal anyway. Calling stores to see if I can find a tank

Discus-n00b
03-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Are you concerned finding one the exact same because of stands/canopies? If you have local fish clubs check their boards, generally used tanks can be had for cheap.

Mongo77
03-24-2015, 07:40 PM
Yeah it's a pentagon. I have built into a wall.

rickztahone
03-24-2015, 09:40 PM
To reseal properly you would have to have it dry and let it set before refilling....unless someone else knows another way/trick. You can put the fish in a large rubbermaid or something similar for the time being until you reseal or get a new tank.

This is your best bet here. It really isn't that difficult to reseal a tank. It just requires a lot of time and patience. In order to properly reseal the tank, you have to take out everything from the tank. Let it dry a few hours, then, you have to scrape all of the inside silicone, not just the side that has the leak. Fixing just the area the leaked will cause a leak down the line. If you reseal the whole tank, it should last you quite a few years. Place the fish in a tote for a while. I know someone who has had fish in a tote for over 2 years! Do I recommend it? No, but it can be done.

Mongo77
03-24-2015, 11:18 PM
thanks for all the replies. Was able to find the same tank and moved everybody over.