PDA

View Full Version : Hole in the head? Possible paint poisoning?

cloudz
03-27-2015, 06:47 AM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I made a previous thread about two weeks ago, which is when the first symptoms started showing. They seem to have gotten better since then but today the symptoms reoccured. I wanted to ask if they had hole in the head or hlle. I think I see a new hole, but I am not sure. Its under one of the fishes nostrils. I think I can see it on both sides, but on one side it is more prominent which the pics may show. I also want to know that I think I found the reason why my fish showed the symptoms in my last post. About a week or so before the fish showed the symptoms, my dad placed two wooden decorations on the glass cover of the tank on the top. They are at the rear between the cover and the black frame of the tank. There is still a gap. I just noticed that there was dark brown stains/particles/liquid on the glass and where the frame is. I think the humidity of the tank may have made the paint come off the wooden decore and slowly drip into the tank. I have removed the decorations and cleaned the area. The fish seem to do a lot better after. However, I just wanted to confirm if they have hole in the head or not. I will attach the pictures below. The hole scares me.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Symptoms include being skittish and sensitive to light. They would also lose color and become extremely pale to almost a completely while color. Constant hiding. I think a new hole may have formed, but I am not sure.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Since my last post I have treated with paraguard for one week and right now about to finish the first week dosage of prazipro. At first I thought the fish got better from the prazipro because they did not become light sensitive and all their color was back to normal. However, today the symptoms showed up again.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
Tank is advertised 65 gallons but calculating the dimensions give 72. 2 adult discus pairs.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
When I do water changes I syphon out the bottom which is bare. I then add prime and adjust the the temperature before adding water from the tap straight to the tank.
50% water changes a week due to college. I go home once a week to do a water change. However since it is currently spring break I have brought the water changes back to 2-3 times a week which is what I had originally done in the summer before going back to college.
6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tanks been running for a little more than a month. The filters and water were moved from an established 55 gallon which was running for a year.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
I do not age water and there is no ph swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___83-85__

- ph __mid 7s___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __10-20__ which is the same amount that comes from the tap water.

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __I think it is municipal__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
No new additions.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
The attached pics are of the same fish that I noticed the new hole.

It seems like the hole is on both sides with this picture ^
In this picture you can see the hole on the most prominent side under the nostril. It should be on the viewers left and the fish's right in the picture.

Chicago Discus
03-27-2015, 07:53 AM
My rule of thumb is to always go back to place you purchased the discus to get there advice first. Since I did not sell you these discus nor do I know the history them this is only a guess on my part. Looks like you have a couple of albino discus in an aquarium by themselves and you can only do water changes once a week due to other obligations. Your not aging your water, your only doing water changes once a week, there are only two discus in the tank and it looks to have pieces of driftwood.

IMO-Only
First two discus in one tank is a recipe for disaster unless they are a proven breeding pair. (get some more discus in the tank)
Because you can only change water once a week I would take out things that could contaminate the tank (Driftwood decorations...etc)
Aging water is not just for PH swings there natural gasses that will be released from and the water which will make your water more stable if aged.
Albino discus can be sensitive to lighting as do albino people correct the lighting to make the discus more comfortable.
I do not see hole in the head in these discus IMO you are looking at natural pits found in all discus and can be more noticeable in albinos and water quality issues.
Medicating the tank seemed a bit premature and can cause more water quality issues.
My advice is contact the people you purchased the discus from and up your water changes this will solve 90% of your issues

Josie

cloudz
03-27-2015, 11:32 PM
Thank you Josie! If I change the water on friday, saturday, and sunday when I come back, will that be more beneficial? I'm glad it's not hole in the head. They are albino red spotted green discus. I'll try to change the light to accommodate their needs. I do notice that they are normal when the lights are off. They have laid eggs before but I haven't had any go to the wigglers stage yet. They'd always end up eating them. Should I still add more discus or still try to let them breed?