PDA

View Full Version : Eggs disappearing

beno
03-31-2015, 07:17 AM
Hi,

I have a Discus Pair laying eggs like there is no tomorrow.

I have isolated the pair to a smaller tank with a cone.

Fish have laid a first batch of eggs and with 36 hours they were all gone.

Decided to put a bit of mesh around the cone for the second batch. Most eggs were fertilised while some turned white (maybe 10%). Within 36 hours, most of the eggs have disappeared from the cone. Can't be the parents eating the eggs as there is a mesh around.

Would love to hear from people with more experience than I have to try to solve this.

Tks in advance :o)

John_Nicholson
03-31-2015, 08:42 AM
My first suggestion is to spend sometime watching the tank. Either the parents are pushing on the mess hard enough to get to the eggs or the eggs are not healthy enough to stick to the cone and are falling off. I have gotten pairs from people before that had this problem but after better care they got over it.

-john

Larry Bugg
03-31-2015, 10:39 AM
I bet they are pushing in the mesh. How do you know they were fertilized if they are eaten?

Cabe
03-31-2015, 11:14 AM
Push the cone with the mesh around it to a corner of the tank with the eggs facing the corner. This will keep them from getting to them.

beno
04-01-2015, 05:07 AM
Tks all for the tips!

I believe they are fertilised as the majority are transparent while only 5 or so % were white.

I haven't noticed the parents pushing the mesh but then again I'm not here 24/7

I'll try turning the cone and report. Would you worry having the mesh on the cone after turning it?

Tks all again ;o)

beno
04-05-2015, 06:20 PM
another batch was payed last night. As suggested I have turned the cone towards the angle of the tank.

This morning, have of the eggs are lying at the bottom of the cone.

Eggs not sticky enough?

If this is it, can anything be done?