PDA

View Full Version : Beginner making sure I have everything I need!

kn1ghtrydr
04-01-2015, 03:48 PM
What's up,
Joined this forum awhile back but got discouraged when I bought a used aquarium and it leaked. Anyway I was able to find a good deal on a brand new marineland 60 gallon aquarium and I think I'm ready to start! I've been reading and I've learned quite alot so thank you everyone for all the info! I think I know what I need but I wanted to ask a couple questions before I started cycling my tank!

- I have two aquaclear 70 HOBs. Will this be enough filtration for discus (will make sure not to use the carbon until after medication)? I will also put a sponge filter over each intake as suggested!
- I know it is recommended to have a group of six discus to prevent bullying but will it be fine for me to get a group of three to four instead (along with ten cardinal tetras and a busy nosed pleco which I will use to cycle the tank)? I was planning to get 4 inchers to make my first time keeping these guys more forgiving (I am a science guy but chemistry isn't my strong point, I got the microbiology down though haha).
- Is it advisable to buy two heaters instead of one, or one powerful to put by one of the intakes?
- Is Chad Hughes still raising discus in San Diego? I went to his website but I see he is still in a processing of moving his operations. I was hoping to find a local breeder to buy from, but it looks like I'll be going to mail order.

Thanks,
Jay

Also I think my tank set up will be bare bottom with driftwood and a few silk plants.

discuspaul
04-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the forum, Jay.
- Filtration: 2 AC 70's would be plenty of filtration on a 60 gal - you might even need to lower the flow somewhat.
- Getting just 3 or 4 discus is doable, but it's often a recipe for overly aggressive pecking order behavior & bullying, which of course is stressful on the victims. Be easy on yourself and get at least 5, preferably 6. But if you want to add any number of tank-mates, a 60 gal may be a tight squeeze from a bio-load standpoint.
- Many discus-keepers do heat with 2 heaters, but it's not essential. The risk of having one fail is there, but it doesn't usually occur very often.
- Where are you located ? Is it California ? If so, an excellent source is Kenny's discus in Daly City, Ca. (S.F.) who sells high quality discus, and could get them to you quickly - that is if you're unable to contact Chad Hughes or if he doesn't have what you're looking for - in that case, Kenny's the man.

kn1ghtrydr
04-02-2015, 07:10 AM
Hello Paul! Thank you for the welcome and advice.
-Five is going to be a big investment but I know I just need to take the plunge and make sure I read as much as possible so I don't lose any haha.
-I am actually from San Diego, CA and I saw that Chad was also from here, but it seems he hasn't been active on the forums since 2014. In my searching I actually came across a person selling discus on craigslist with great pictures. He is from Chula Vista, CA and takes pre-orders for monthly shipments just like the big sellers do. Are you guys familiar with him/her? Here is one of the listings (the only thing that worries me is the spelling of healthy):

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/fod/4953154439.html

Anyway thanks again for taking the time to reply!

SortSay2003
04-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the forum, Jay.
- Filtration: 2 AC 70's would be plenty of filtration on a 60 gal - you might even need to lower the flow somewhat.
- Getting just 3 or 4 discus is doable, but it's often a recipe for overly aggressive pecking order behavior & bullying, which of course is stressful on the victims. Be easy on yourself and get at least 5, preferably 6. But if you want to add any number of tank-mates, a 60 gal may be a tight squeeze from a bio-load standpoint.
- Many discus-keepers do heat with 2 heaters, but it's not essential. The risk of having one fail is there, but it doesn't usually occur very often.
- Where are you located ? Is it California ? If so, an excellent source is Kenny's discus in Daly City, Ca. (S.F.) who sells high quality discus, and could get them to you quickly - that is if you're unable to contact Chad Hughes or if he doesn't have what you're looking for - in that case, Kenny's the man.

Hello Paul! Thank you for the welcome and advice.
-Five is going to be a big investment but I know I just need to take the plunge and make sure I read as much as possible so I don't lose any haha.
-I am actually from San Diego, CA and I saw that Chad was also from here, but it seems he hasn't been active on the forums since 2014. In my searching I actually came across a person selling discus on craigslist with great pictures. He is from Chula Vista, CA and takes pre-orders for monthly shipments just like the big sellers do. Are you guys familiar with him/her? Here is one of the listings (the only thing that worries me is the spelling of healthy):

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/fod/4953154439.html

Anyway thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Hi Jay,

Welcome. This is a Great forum.

Agree with discuspaul on 5-6 discus and tank mates will have a heavy bio-load. You'll have to stay on top of water change/quality. If you're not trying to grow them discus big and just want healthy discus, it can be done. Kenny is a very reputable sponsor (like other sponsors) and provides Quality discus monthly with so many strains to choose from.

As for the CL ad in your area, don't worry about the spelling. The Quality is that of KENNY'S...LOL.

Good luck and have many joyful experiences:)

RogueDiscus
04-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Maybe Sam knows something I don't about the CL post when he says Kenny's quality, but that looks like one of Kenny's pics of the fish he imports from Forrest. Maybe it's Kenny, or someone reselling his fish, or just using his pictures. I'd be very careful to talk with the seller and go see the fish if you can. Just my opinion. Check out Kenny's shipment posts, in the sponsor section here.

rickztahone
04-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I do not believe that to be Kenny. That is a different phone number than his.

You are so close to Kenny that I'd advise you to simply call Kenny up and talk to him directly. Best decision you'll make ;-)

Banzai883
04-10-2015, 09:42 AM
get a good biological filter media to use on your filters. I recommend biohome or subrstat from eheim. keep em in a filter bag and put it on top of the sponge. good luck.

AngryBird
04-10-2015, 09:55 AM
and ofcourse lot of money $$$:D