PDA

View Full Version : Peacock Gudgeons

I305I Knucklez
04-03-2015, 10:06 PM
I saw some one said that peacock gudgeons are ok and can with stand the heat. I have some right now in a tank that is at 82 and seem to be just find for a long time now, I know it would be a bit higher in a discus tank.
Anyone have any experience with them and Discus?

Bill63SG
04-04-2015, 03:25 PM
No experience with them,but there is no real need to have a discus tank higher then 82 unless sometimes with medicating.

Rod
04-05-2015, 03:25 PM
I saw some one said that peacock gudgeons are ok and can with stand the heat. I have some right now in a tank that is at 82 and seem to be just find for a long time now, I know it would be a bit higher in a discus tank.
Anyone have any experience with them and Discus?

Peacock gudgeons are small and inoffensive to other fish, and won't be a problem for the discus. But i think the discus tank is a problem for the peacocks. The gudgeons like 72 to 76, and while i believe you are correct in saying they can withstand 82, i do not think they will thrive long term at that temp. Also ,the gudgeons like plenty of dense vegetation, driftwood, floating plants and open areas with dark substrate and a bit of current to swim against, and will probably not display properly unless this is provided. But this is not a tank that discus would thrive in.

I agree with Bill re temp, discus will be fine at 82.

relcaqua
04-06-2015, 12:47 AM
I've had peacock gudgeons with discus before and 3 out 5 died. Not sure if water conditions had to do much with it because their fins were torn so I just assumed the discus killed them. Anyhow, I removed the surviving gudgeons and placed them on my 10 gallon and they did really well.
I would not recommend this addition on a discus tank.

I305I Knucklez
04-07-2015, 01:23 PM
ok thanks for the info guys. I was planning on having them in a planted tank with adult discus, but don't think I will now.