PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Beginner here looking for some pointers!

shadeslayer
04-03-2015, 10:53 PM
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and a beginner to the discus fish community!

I was wondering if you could give me some advice! My tank set up:
55 gallon Aqueon aquarium
Penn Plax Cascade 1000 Canister filter (first had aqueon quiet 75 gallon)
Aqueon thermometer with separate digital temperature reader

When I had first set up my tank, I used DrTim's Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Cycling Aquaria, FreshWater 4-Ounce and left it as is for a week. Then I introduced 1 discus and 2 Angelfish. In just 3 weeks my discus has more than doubled in size and my angelfish are active as ever! I thought great everything is going well and I added 3 more discus fish - and all three have grown as well and are healthy with a great color.

I am now having a problem with cloudy water. When I first installed my canister filter (with all the stuff that came in the box - coarse sponge, 3 fine sponge, 1 nylong bag of pro-carb), my water was crystal clear for about a week but then it started to slowly become cloudy.
I opened up my canister to see what was going on and I found bits and pieces of tropical flakes and gooey substance mixed on the coarse sponge, nylon bag.

I washed the coarse sponge and nylon bag in aquarium water, and I replaced the 3 fine sponges because it seemed too dirty.
My water still hasn't cleared up...I am wondering what I am doing wrong? Did I not cycle the tank enough?

After I cleaned my filter, there was an incident where my first discus fish jumped twice out of the water and into the hood. But now it is perfectly fine, eating well and swimming around. I do see it just hanging around my filter intake tube for a while. I had gotten scared and tested the water with my kit, and everything was ok - no dangerous ammonia levels or pH issues.

rickztahone
04-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Where were your nitrites and nitrates?

shadeslayer
04-03-2015, 11:26 PM
nitrites - 0 - 0.5 ppm(mg/L)
nitrate - 0 - 20 ppm (mg/L)
- both on the lower end of API test strip

rickztahone
04-03-2015, 11:47 PM
It sounds like a bacterial bloom but it is weird that you are not seeing anything weird in your test kit. How old is it? Flakes in the filter will typically drive up your nitrates real quick. How often are you doing WC's?

shadeslayer
04-03-2015, 11:52 PM
The test kit I bought from amazon about 3 weeks ago and they assured me that its new. I am doing 10% water change every day now because the cloudiness is making me nervous

Driftwood Mike
04-04-2015, 12:15 AM
Are you using a water conditioner when doing a water change?

shadeslayer
04-04-2015, 12:32 AM
yup! i am using api stress coat water conditioner at the moment

Driftwood Mike
04-04-2015, 12:47 AM
Had a similar situation, knew that was what you were using. Need to switch to Prime. Betting that your cloudiness is white? I used Stresscoat for a long time. Suddenly every time I did a WC tank would cloud white after an hour. Rick hit it on the head it is a bacterial bloom but it didn't show anything alarming on the test kit. Switched to Prime has never happened since. Have same size tank and 10% WC not enough, IMO. Most days I change 25 gallons. Would up it to 15 gallons so as not to stress anyone. See how it goes from there. Hope this helps!

shadeslayer
04-04-2015, 07:15 AM
thank you!! I will try this out
is this the one you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-116043304-Prime-500ml/dp/B00025694O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428146022&sr=8-1&keywords=prime+water+conditioner

Driftwood Mike
04-04-2015, 07:45 AM
That's the one. All local fish stores carry it. You will notice that you use a lot less than Stresscoat. 2 drops per gallon or dose for the whole tank if you fill with a hose. Good luck!

monching
04-06-2015, 11:25 PM
How about the Nutrafin A7930 Aqua plus water conditioner?? Any feedback on this product guys? I use it as my conditioner and I do straight tap using an aqueon water changer just matching the tank existing water temp. as close as possible and everything is going great so far but still want to get feedback on the more seasoned veteran of the forum.

krislewis3
04-07-2015, 04:39 AM
The test kit I bought from amazon about 3 weeks ago and they assured me that its new. I am doing 10% water change every day now because the cloudiness is making me nervous,

Lots of good advise in the beginners section. Your water changes should be more like 50% daily. Good luck, Kris