PDA

View Full Version : Strange Orange and Black Growth on Dead Fry - HELP!

snowierc
04-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Dear All,

After the last unsuccessful batch of fry, we have had a new batch of approx 50+ from March 15 (~3 weeks old). We have taken the advice from the last thread very seriously and we increased the frequency of our WC. Things were alright until today: We found one fry had died. We are extremely disturbed and clueless regarding what may be the issue and are very afraid this will start another epidemic amongst the remaining fry population.

The following are the details and pictures are included at the end:

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Fry had passed on upon our return. We did not see any prior problems such as gasping, scratching, lethargy, etc. The fry were all eating voraciously as per normal.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Upon death, found strange orange and black-looking growth on body. Fins were ragged, mouth open. Upon netting, we also found a red worm-like looking thing, not sure if it has anything to do with the death of the fry. We certainly did not feed any worms or live food. This particular fry is one of the bigger ones in the tank.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Mild dose of API pima and mela fix and Sachem Prime due to one of the parent's slight injury (probably due to fry latching for feeding).

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

20 gallon tank. 2 adult discus, ~50 fry.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

25-50% daily WC. Grav vac daily after feeding.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Last 1 month. Bare bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Using aged water.

8. Parameters and water source:

- temp: 27C/81F

- ph: 6.4

- Tank is cycled

- ammonia reading: 0.25 ppm

- nitrite reading: 0 ppm

- nitrate reading: 5.0 ppm

- Dechlorinated tap water

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No.

10. Extra info regarding diet.

Oceanfree instant BBS for fry and FD Blackworms for parents (fry occasionally nibbles).

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

-----

This is really quite alarming as we have never come across such an odd looking death. Would really appreciate it if any one is able to shed some light on what may be the cause of death and any precautions we may have to take for the remaining fry as well as parents.

Thanks in advance.

Allwin
04-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Considering 20G - 2adults and 50 fry. if adults are spooked for any reasons, it can hurt themselves as well as the fry's and eventually such things can happen(fry's severely getting injured with intestine coming out, doesn't looks like any parasite to me IMO)

Tank shot with adults and better look at other fry's is helpful.

nc0gnet0
04-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Back in your previous post:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?118099-Discus-Fry-Dying-One-By-One-Appreciate-Any-Immediate-Help!&p=1139406&highlight=#post1139406

with your first batch of fry, I give you this advice:

Start with a good tank wipe down and a 90%+ water change, and then do 2x daily 50% (or more) water changes.

-Rick

My advice now is:

Start with a good tank wipe down and a 90%+ water change, and then do 2x daily 50% (or more) water changes.

-Rick

There are no shortcuts to raising discus fry. The advice given was 50% or more twice daily, not 50% or less, once daily. The first few months is the most important time in the discus's life span. Screw up now and there screwed up for good.

Take the pimafix and the melafix and toss them in the trash, they are useless.

Toss out the instant BBS and set your self up a real BBS hatchery, Nothing could be easier than hatching live BBS, and there is nothing better to feed your fry.

The plus is this time only one fry has died. This very well maybe just one of those things, you do lose a few from time to time for no apparent reason. I can tell you this however, if you don't step up your game, your going to have the same problem you had last time. The only way your going to get around doing less water changes is to get a bigger tank, ,and even then you will still be changing as much water (if not more) albeit at a lower percentage of total tank volume.

-Rick

snowierc
04-18-2015, 07:19 AM
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the comment.

Honestly, it is challenging for us to do 2x large PWCs per day especially during weekdays as we are working full time and mornings are a big rush for us. We are trying to do a large PWC once every evening/night of at least 50% at the very least, and we try to do wipe downs. On weekends, when there is more luxury of time, we try to do 2x as suggested as well as a wipe-down.

Anyway, what are the chances of the fry dying due to less-than-ideal water conditions vs. flukes? I understand the only surefire way to find out is to use a microscope... in the case of flukes, would dosing GC help (or do we have to try other more extreme medications like formalin or PPP)?

Thanks very much and I appreciate your being frank with us.

Back in your previous post:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?118099-Discus-Fry-Dying-One-By-One-Appreciate-Any-Immediate-Help!&p=1139406&highlight=#post1139406

with your first batch of fry, I give you this advice:

-Rick

My advice now is:

-Rick

There are no shortcuts to raising discus fry. The advice given was 50% or more twice daily, not 50% or less, once daily. The first few months is the most important time in the discus's life span. Screw up now and there screwed up for good.

Take the pimafix and the melafix and toss them in the trash, they are useless.

Toss out the instant BBS and set your self up a real BBS hatchery, Nothing could be easier than hatching live BBS, and there is nothing better to feed your fry.

The plus is this time only one fry has died. This very well maybe just one of those things, you do lose a few from time to time for no apparent reason. I can tell you this however, if you don't step up your game, your going to have the same problem you had last time. The only way your going to get around doing less water changes is to get a bigger tank, ,and even then you will still be changing as much water (if not more) albeit at a lower percentage of total tank volume.

-Rick