PDA

View Full Version : Please help - Nitrate are high!

aklemmensen
04-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Hi guys,

My Nitrate are 40+
I have 75G tank with 15 neons, 5 Discus (1y olds that I raised from babies in 25g tank ) , and 2 sucker fish and 2 other small tetras
No plants, as I cant seem to keep them alive
I do 2 water changed a week, ~ 25%
I cant seem to be able to get my nitrate down. Please help me. I tested my tap water and its between 15-20ppm.
I went to petsmart and they told me to get some extra baggies for my canister filter (its only about 3m old) that help with nitrates and I still don't seem to catch a break.
I also keep having algie problem, but I keep the lights off most of the time and that seemed to improve greatly. Just small amount where the sun hits it (another rookie mistake). Moving the tank is in the plans, but as you can imagine not an easy task
Any advice is appreciated. Please be nice, I am new to all this
Thanks
Anya

Second Hand Pat
04-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Hi Anya, best way to remove the nitrates is to start doing daily 50% water changes. Even thru your source water has nitrates you can still cut your nitrates by half with water changes in the tank.
Pat

Keith Perkins
04-10-2015, 09:58 PM
What Pat said. Also a tip for moving the tank if you're staying on the same floor. Get a dowel rod like the one often used to hang clothes on in closets the appropriate length to be able to cut it into 6 pieces the desired length. Drain the tank down to an inch or two of water. Lift one end of the tank stand and slide two pieces of dowel under the stand, one front and back. Move to the other end of the tank and roll it forward a couple of feet and stick a couple more pieces of dowel rod under it. Repeat the process until you get the tank where you want it.

aklemmensen
04-12-2015, 12:38 AM
Thanks Guys! I also realized that I am a dummy- the nitro-zorb pouches I got need to be recharged...Geesh! I feel bad. Just ordered more on Amazon and will start this over.
Keith, maybe this is a stupid question- but do I remove the discus when I drain the aquarium? My biggest guys are about 5 to 6.5 inches. Actually, I guess I would have to any way. Plus I understand that I would have to keep some of the water to put back, otherwise I will shock the system, right?

100fuegos
04-12-2015, 02:52 AM
Plus I understand that I would have to keep some of the water to put back, otherwise I will shock the system, right?

What??? Why? Many in this place, including me, do as big WC as possible. Some use the "flush" method actually meaning more than 100%.

rickztahone
04-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Thanks Guys! I also realized that I am a dummy- the nitro-zorb pouches I got need to be recharged...Geesh! I feel bad. Just ordered more on Amazon and will start this over.
Keith, maybe this is a stupid question- but do I remove the discus when I drain the aquarium? My biggest guys are about 5 to 6.5 inches. Actually, I guess I would have to any way. Plus I understand that I would have to keep some of the water to put back, otherwise I will shock the system, right?

Do not remove the discus while doing water changes. That is a great way to stress them to no end. Simply remove as much water as possible (even 100% can be done) and replenish the water in a quick fashion and you will be fine. No need for old water. We want new fresh water every time.

aklemmensen
04-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Oh, ok. I though that I might shock the system that way. But I suppose my filter has all the good stuff in it to keep the tank cycled. Sorry, like I said, I don't claim to be an expert:)

rickztahone
04-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Oh, ok. I though that I might shock the system that way. But I suppose my filter has all the good stuff in it to keep the tank cycled. Sorry, like I said, I don't claim to be an expert:)

we are all here to learn and to give advice we have learned the hard way :). You are correct, all the BB (beneficial bacteria) you need is on your filter. This is why you should always remember to plug your filters back in when doing water changes. Since discus keepers do large frequent water changes, remembering to plug the filter back in is a more common problem, lol.

MendoMan
04-12-2015, 08:11 PM
I've never found a need to turn my filters off during a water change. My filter intakes are right on the bottom and continue to operate during changes. I'd be willing to bet that you also have a gravel bed that if not cleaned properly could be a large part of your nitrate source.

rickztahone
04-13-2015, 12:31 PM
I've never found a need to turn my filters off during a water change. My filter intakes are right on the bottom and continue to operate during changes. I'd be willing to bet that you also have a gravel bed that if not cleaned properly could be a large part of your nitrate source.

when I do water changes, the discus are all on their sides and have no water above them. If I left filters on, they would run dry every time.

pitdogg2
04-13-2015, 04:12 PM
My filter intakes are right on the bottom.

I was like you at one time until I had a return hose leak one day while I was at work. Nothing like coming home to an empty tank. They now never get closer than 4" from bottom of the tank. Lesson learned!:fish:

MendoMan
04-14-2015, 10:41 AM
I was like you at one time until I had a return hose leak one day while I was at work. Nothing like coming home to an empty tank. They now never get closer than 4" from bottom of the tank. Lesson learned!:fish:

That was a concern and I used stainless hose clamps instead of the slip fittings and jam nuts on both ends of the hoses. Maybe i've been lucky but never had that happen in about 20 years now.