PDA

View Full Version : Water change addition??

pgrhodes1
04-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Hi all,

Is it possible to have a water change addiction?? I can't seem to stop and my family thinks I've gone off the deep end. I have 7 beautiful, happy, adult Discus in a 92 gal. I've finally mastered the amount of food they'll eat per feeding. Water is always great yet I change 50% twice a day after each feeding anyway.

There is a guy on Facebook who has mastered a great eco system with no water change and no chemicals. I have purchased and prepared the aquaponics and everything else required for the system; however, I hesitate because I just do not think I'll be able to go without daily water changes and it will be a total waste.

My Angle tank is the same way. I MUST change water after feeding....:)

Anyone else with the problem or have I truly gone off the deep end???

Penny

rickztahone
04-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Hi all,

Is it possible to have a water change addition?? I can't seem to stop and my family thinks I've gone off the deep end. I have 7 beautiful, happy, adult Discus in a 92 gal. I've finally mastered the amount of food they'll eat per feeding. Water is always great yet I change 50% twice a day after each feeding anyway.

There is a guy on Facebook who has mastered a great eco system with no water change and no chemicals. I have purchased and prepared the aquaponics and everything else required for the system; however, I hesitate because I just do not think I'll be able to go without daily water changes and it will be a total waste.

My Angle tank is the same way. I MUST change water after feeding....:)

Anyone else with the problem or have I truly gone off the deep end???

Penny

Hello Penny :). I wish we had people with this "problem" rather than those that only change water once a month lol. Aquaponics is a viable system that definitely can be implemented, but I would advise you to check your water parameters more frequentley when switching from daily water changes to this new system and see for yourself if the new system is in line with the parameters you would like to ultimately keep your discus in.

Plants are a great way to get rid of a lot of nitrates, but having plants and substrates and such can overcomplicate things sometimes, but again, if you feel you can pull it off, I honestly do believe that a system like that can in fact save you from doing daily water changes.