PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Setting Up My First Discus Tank

Jnotjane
04-12-2015, 02:42 PM
So, after lurking on this forum for 2 years, and lots of planning, I am finally setting up my first discus tank. What took me so long? Well, the house we were in was too small for a tank large enough for discus. We are now in a new home with plenty of room.

I purchased a new Marine Land 60 gallon from PetSmart last weekend during there 50% tank/stand combo sale. It is now filled and cycling as of yesterday. I plan to run it for at least 3 weeks before I even think about stocking it with a mixed school of rummies and cardinal tetras, then add 5-6 discus. The discus will be no less than 4" to start, as I don't have the time or setup to grow out juvies.

I am running an Aquaclear 110 HOB and a protein skimmer (also HOB). Not sure if the portien skimmer will help any, but figured I would give it a try as I already had one.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

about 20 years experience with fresh and salt tanks, including a high-tech planted angelfish tank for about 4 years before a cross-country moved forced a 2-year break from the hobby.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

60 gallon "tall" - 48"x12"x24", Aquaclear 110 HOB, HOB skimmer

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

pool filter sand, 1 large piece of manzanita wood, some rock, java fern around base of wood.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

50% daily RO/tap mix, aged

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

see above notes

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp _82F____

- tank ph __8.4___

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _7.6____

- ammonia reading ____0 ATM

- nitrite reading ____ 0 ATM

- nitrate reading ____ 0 ATM

- well water ____no

- municipal water _yes___

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

mixed school of 30 cardinal/rummy nosed tetras
5-6 discus, minimum size 4"+
may add a small shoal of cory cats later

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

TBD

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

show tank only for personal pleasure.

Jnotjane
04-12-2015, 02:44 PM

The tape on the glass is the "foot print" for the manzanita wood I ordered from manzanita-driftwood.com I found that marking the approximate size and shape helped me decide on how large a piece to get for what I wanted the end look to be.

rickztahone
04-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Very cool. I'm glad you decided to finally pull the trigger. I like that you put so much research in to setting up your first discus tank. Good luck.