PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Diffuse the Return from my Sump

Twistofer
04-12-2015, 08:21 PM
I'm still in the planning stages for my 125 gal Discus tank...so I need some help regarding my return

I plan on a wet-dry sump rated for a 200-250 Gal tank. The return will be set to handle about 900 gal/hr (discounting the in line CO2 and UV units) with either a Mag 9.5/12 pump. I was thinking using about 4' of 1/2" (3/4" PVC pipe) with multiple 3/16" (5/32") holes randomly drilled throughout the length of pipe. Is this a good plan? Discus like slow moving water, so what would be a good way to diffuse the return?

Second Hand Pat
04-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Hmmm, I was just going to bounce my flow off the back for my 180.
Pat

rickztahone
04-13-2015, 12:33 PM
You can use a spray bar and aim it towards the water surface.

DiscusJimmy
04-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I had a very similar problem with my return when I set up my tank. I tried a spray bar, like the OP with holes randomly drilled and you will find that more pressure comes out of the last few holes at the end of the pipe. this can result in a good carpet watering.

Pat, I also had the same idea about bouncing the flow of the back wall and found the flow was too strong and "climbed" the walls of the tank and started dripping.

After a little trial and error, I found the best solution was using 25mm (1' PVC) and cutting 1mm vertical grooves all along the length on both sides. This distributes the water evenly (still get more pressure at the end) but the water comes out along the full length front and back.

rickztahone
04-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Nice idea. Do you have slots at the top of the pvc? Does this not spray upwards?

alron2
04-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Ricardp.

Looks to me like the cuts are on the sides and the pipe is just under the surface. sp I bet the water does not spray up.
Ron

DiscusJimmy
04-13-2015, 01:50 PM

I left an uncut line about 1cm on top and bottom. Also leave the middle uncut, it helps to strengthen it. Also nice place to clamp while you cut.

N.B watch your fingers! A table saw with correct blade height is the easiest method.

rickztahone
04-13-2015, 02:03 PM

I left an uncut line about 1cm on top and bottom. Also leave the middle uncut, it helps to strengthen it. Also nice place to clamp while you cut.

N.B watch your fingers! A table saw with correct blade height is the easiest method.

I really like this approach and will try it myself.

Do you gather horizontal slots would have worked better as far as flow goes?

DiscusJimmy
04-13-2015, 02:15 PM
It's very difficult to cut horizontally on a round pipe, not impossible just difficult. To be honest though (and I didn't try it) it might not work very well. Give it a go though!

rickztahone
04-13-2015, 03:13 PM
It's very difficult to cut horizontally on a round pipe, not impossible just difficult. To be honest though (and I didn't try it) it might not work very well. Give it a go though!

I was just wondering. It doesn't seem so practial to me either, lol.

MendoMan
04-15-2015, 06:20 PM
What I used on mine is the flared nozzles off of maxi-jet pumps. I put them about 1 1/2" below the surface inverted. They mix the surface great and cause no micro bubbles.

Len
04-15-2015, 07:46 PM
I use a magfrive 9.5 coming from my fluid bed back to my 77 gal and all I did was split it into 2 returns that are drilled through the back of the tank and come through flared nozzles. it doesn't create a lot of current really.

Twistofer
04-15-2015, 08:40 PM

Fingers...What are those? We just had a guy cut his whole thumb off (at the base) where I work. The hand surgeon did a really nice job re-attaching it.

I really like your idea and it should work well for my tank. I see you used Schedule 80 pipe. Did you make a jig for the cuts to get them evenly spaced?
What is your tank set up?

I plan on drilling my tank this weekend.

DiscusJimmy
04-16-2015, 03:25 AM
Hi,

No I didn't use a jig, just a table saw. Used the saw guide rail and increased it as I did the cuts. To get the cuts even you cut both at the same time. Rotate the pipe after you cut one side.

Banzai883
04-16-2015, 07:35 AM
thats a good solution to it. just be careful cutting. i work in construction and i've seen some hairy incidents with saws lol.

Twistofer
04-18-2015, 01:14 PM
thats a good solution to it. just be careful cutting. i work in construction and i've seen some hairy incidents with saws lol.

As a doctor, the contractors, wood shop workers and amateurs keep me in business. ;) That's why I think making a jig and using pushers is a GREAT idea if you want to do Jim's spray-bar. I like his idea and will be trying it myself, using 1" PVC.

"Thumb Fun"

The Irons
04-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Hi, this is my first post, but I have experience in both FW & Reef aquariums. Mag pumps are excellent pumps (I used a 12 & 9.5 on my former Reef setup for sump/skimmer flow), the stated flow rates are however misleading. For example a Mag 12 (1200 GPH) flow rate is only achieved using 2X pipe diameter compared to outlet of pump & at zero head pressure. So for a Mag 12 to achieve full flow rate, you would need to use 1 1/2" pipe at zero elevation. I think you'd be fine just going with standard loc-line outputs & just directing where they wont cause too much disturbance. Not sure if you're planning to use the Mag in sump or in line, but they are not recommended for use in line, as they sometimes leak around the impellor cover. The plus to using them in sump is that the heat generated goes into keeping the tank temp stable. Hope this helps give you some more info. Best of luck with the new set up