PDA

View Full Version : New tank in the works. Opinions on dimensions?

zchauvin
04-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Trying to figure out how I can get the most volume out of a smaller footprint, couldn't really find anything standard that I liked so I went with custom dimensions. Just waiting to get a quote back and finalize the order so want some input. Ended up with 40 x 24 x 29. I found that this had the perfect mixture of depth, length, and height. Didn't really want the skinny tank look and didn't want the 24" standard so I was left with a 110 but it's a tall narrow tank. The only way to get the width I wanted and height was getting into the DD tanks and those are more volume and much larger than I want. Tank will have a overflow in one corner.

I figured this would get plenty of swimming room and more than enough height for discus and/or altum Angels.

Second Hand Pat
04-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Sounds like a nice tank Zach. You doing to have them build you a stand also?
Pat

zchauvin
04-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Sounds like a nice tank Zach. You doing to have them build you a stand also?
Pat

Not sure Pat, I had one quoted for the 48g I have now at 36x18x30 and it was around $800. This was a metal stand powder coated and painted. I ended up making one for about $120.

zchauvin
04-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Sorry, not sure why it's sideways. If you can fix it'd be nice :)

Second Hand Pat
04-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Sorry, not sure why it's sideways. If you can fix it'd be nice :)

Not sure how to fix it Zach. Will the stand support the weight?

zchauvin
04-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Not sure how to fix it Zach. Will the stand support the weight?

Yep easily, I may try to get a metal one again if it's a little more reasonable because of space issues. Wont be using 2x4s or anything but a metal stand made with 1" or 1 1/2" square tubing leaves much more room under tank. I only use 3/4" birch for stands now, gotta figure stands you buy at lfs are nothing more than flimsy pine stapled together....

zchauvin
04-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Opinions regarding dimensions? When it's said and done the tank should look similar to this one.