PDA

View Full Version : Discus injury - Help needed

pilla
04-16-2015, 09:34 AM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
-Huge injury beside the right eye. Injury was there for about a year. Don't know what caused it. He eats and behaves normally. Not sluggish.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
-Used Hikari Biobandage few times.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
-120g planted. 3 discus all about 2 -3 years. About 25 tetras.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
-50% weekly

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
-Substrate - Pool sand. Tank running for about 2.5 years.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
-No

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _82____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __X__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
Picture attached. If needed can attach more/better pics.

jmf3460
04-16-2015, 09:39 AM
you say he's had the wound for a year?? why are you just now posting? if he has had it a year, does it even bother him?

pilla
04-16-2015, 11:47 AM
you say he's had the wound for a year?? why are you just now posting? if he has had it a year, does it even bother him?

I feel like the injury is getting bigger lately and that's the reason for posting now.

He behaves normally like eating well sparring with other fish. So I assume it's not bothering him.

jmf3460
04-16-2015, 11:50 AM
id say make sure to keep water pristine so it doesn't get a bacterial infection. if you do suspect it has a bacterial infection you could medicate. Al has a good thread on here somewhere about taking fish out and applying iodine to external wounds. you could do that, and maybe cover it with some Neosporin???

pilla
04-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks JACKLYN.
I applied Biobandage (Neonmycin-Based) but I did not see any improvement.

Any other ideas?

brewmaster15
04-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Thats some serious erosion! Its possible its a persistent bacterial infection, and its also possible that the fish has a systemic case of Hexamita/Spiro.

Have you ever had any issues with internal protozoans like Hex?

The fish may benefit from swabbing the area with Iodine, given the size of the area, I would avoid using Hydrogen peroxide, it might shock the fish.

al

alron2
04-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Al,

What did you see that let you know that it is possible that the fish has a systemic case of Hexamita/Spiro? I only ask because I am trying to learn.
Ron

pilla
04-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Thanks Al.
I am not sure if he had any protozoans issues.

Will try the iodine this weekend.