PDA

View Full Version : I am riding the Tour de Cure

dagray
04-16-2015, 04:07 PM
on May 16, 2015 I will be riding the Spokane, WA "Tour de Cure". This is actually in Airway Heights.

I elected the 25 mile course as I know I will be challenged, yet be able to complete the ride.

Tour de Cure is a bicycle fun ride (many distances to choose from) with the benefits going toward the American Diabetes Association.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August 2012, and I have beaten it to almost normal levels, but I have thrown out some other medications and purchased a bicycle instead of taking pills.

So far in five to 25 mile rides since September 2014 I have accumulated over 600 miles in the saddle.

The riding has allowed me to throw out my cholesterol meds, lowered my blood pressure, helped me lose some weight.

If you would like to donate here is a link: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/TourdeCure/TourAdmin?px=10860469&pg=personal&fr_id=10208 As you can see I am over half way to my goal, and if I don't have a minimum of $200.00 in donations by the ride date I will be coming out of pocket for the difference (I donated $120.00).k

Blessings on you all,
Dave

DonMD
04-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Well, good luck with the ride. And, where's the pic of you in your bike duds? You're supposed to be as colorful as our discus! LOL.

dagray
04-16-2015, 04:34 PM
so Don,
You don't want to see a 45 year old fat man in Spandex (trust me, I don't want to see that either, but I do wear it as it is purpose built clothing).

But here is a shot of the day I was going so fast on the bike that I went back in time and got hit by a dinosaur (the bike is now my oldest son's as I have graduated to an Orbea Orca in the 60cm frame all carbon fiber and light)
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/lizardman_u/HitbyaDinosaur_zps600d7ff5.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/lizardman_u/media/HitbyaDinosaur_zps600d7ff5.jpg.html)

Dave

DonMD
04-16-2015, 05:07 PM
so Don,
You don't want to see a 45 year old fat man in Spandex (trust me, I don't want to see that either, but I do wear it as it is purpose built clothing).

I know, I know. I'm 63, and managed over 1k miles on my Specialized before knee surgery. I know all about the spandex. But in bicycles, there's NO MODESTY! LOL.

dagray
04-16-2015, 05:14 PM
Don,
For my 45th birthday my wife got me a couple short sleeved jerseys that were more um.. politically correct than the one I purchased.

I picked up the "Cranky old ******* Bicycle Club" long sleeved Jersey when I got serious about riding and putting on the miles to improve my health (I am now down to 365 from almost 400 pounds since September of last year).

My wife picked up from my wishlist the full zip short sleeved "Gadsden Flag" and the Primal short sleeved Jersey with the image of a tree frog holding the seat post.

I just try not to scare those on an internet forum. In person... well if they look and don't have eye bleach that is their problem. I don't take my shirt off in public or let my hair down in public, and especially not the two together as I don't want my photo published in American Science Weekly as a Sasquatch sighting. :)