PDA

View Full Version : discus community

91five0
04-16-2015, 07:08 PM
I'm setting up my 180 gallon discus community. Going to have 75 or so cardinal terra, 8-10 corys, a couple pairs of rams and 10 or so discus. How does one go about fees a community like this?

dagray
04-16-2015, 08:06 PM
Feed two times a day, feed a variety of food and make sure some sinks, and some floats, and some is able to be stuck to the glass.

Tetras feed all through the water column, the corries feed off the bottom, I am not sure about the appistogram/rams.

I would feed in two spots in the tank to hopefully have everybody not crowded to get fed.

jmf3460
04-16-2015, 08:57 PM
I have discus, corys tetras and dwarf cichlids. I feed Al's FDBW but I buy the loose kind so that the current from the filter outflow pushes the worms all around the water column. the discus, tetras and dwarf cichlids swim all over getting it and the pieces that sink to the bottom get eaten by the corydoras and ancisturs. I do add sinking cory pellets right before lights out that they can munch on when lights go out. but I only do this maybe once a week. my corydoras are fat so I know they are not lacking in the food department. flake will go around to the whole water column also.

oliverk
04-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Mine is a little smaller 110 net - have only corys tetras and discus wood substrate and plants - but sounds very similar.

I cycled the tank with the corys, tetras and substrate. I added plants and wood as I could find get it in, clean and ........ But took it slow. I had the tank about 3 -4 months before introducing my 10 discus at once.

I feed twice a day - usually one spot but a rotating mix of stuff, flake (2-3 kinds), saturated granuals, old high protein koi food beef heart my mix and...... I try and make sure the food is all gone in 5 +/- mins and am happy if some lands on the wood etc as it goes down.

I have heavy filtration. The cories bred many times before the discus went in but the discus have thinned the corys down a bit.