PDA

View Full Version : Imagine Restocking this....

Second Hand Pat
04-17-2015, 08:54 AM
http://www.kiiitv.com/story/28810355/major-fish-tank-disaster-at-texas-state-aquarium

nc0gnet0
04-17-2015, 09:34 AM
I wonder what they were treating for and what they were treating with. I would bet the medication they used was formalin.......

jmf3460
04-17-2015, 09:45 AM
someone lost their job. I would feel awful if I had been responsible for this, it would be really hard to go to sleep at night. wonder how many gallons that is? and what they used to medicate?

Jnotjane
04-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Didn't something eerily similar to this happen last year at an aquarium on the East Coast?

Second Hand Pat
04-17-2015, 10:07 AM
I wonder what they were treating for and what they were treating with. I would bet the medication they used was formalin.......

Whatever it was my first thought was an overdose.

jmf3460
04-17-2015, 10:10 AM
and aren't lion fish considered an invasive species recently off the gulf coast...

brewmaster15
04-17-2015, 10:16 AM
And people kick themselves when they mess up in their tanks!

al

XAnhLe
04-17-2015, 02:51 PM

They were treating with Dylox

DISCUS STU
04-17-2015, 03:06 PM
[Admission to the Aquarium is $5 off for adults and $3 off for children.]

With only 2 fish left that's a discount $2.50 per fish or $1.50 for children. Dylox is rough stuff. Sorry to see how badly this went south. A real shame.

alron2
04-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Looks like this has happened before
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/public-aquarium-accidentally-kills-100-reef-fish-with-fluke-treatment
Ron

Solid
04-17-2015, 03:53 PM
and aren't lion fish considered an invasive species recently off the gulf coast...

Yes. Lion Fish are a terrible invasive species wreaking havok on reefs throughout the Caribbean and up the Atlantic coast, but they are still a beautiful aquarium fish. Also they are pretty tasty! ;)

Discus-n00b
04-17-2015, 03:59 PM

Yes, major problem. I would hope the exhibit points that out and they want to show the reef as it is currently with the lions.

Sounds like the math was messed up when converting the dose from the smaller test tanks to the larger tank. Terrible to see. My brother is an aquarist at the South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston, I'll have to ask him about this.

nc0gnet0
04-17-2015, 04:03 PM
This obviously is a case of insufficient water changes...........

nc0gnet0
04-17-2015, 04:06 PM
They were treating with Dylox

Dylox-Dimethyl (2,2,2-trichloro-1-hydroxyethyl) phosphonate

Anti-fluke life bearer-0.0 Dimethyl, 1 Hydroxy, 2-trichloromethyl Phosphate

I wonder if these are basically the same?

brewmaster15
04-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Dylox-Dimethyl (2,2,2-trichloro-1-hydroxyethyl) phosphonate

Anti-fluke life bearer-0.0 Dimethyl, 1 Hydroxy, 2-trichloromethyl Phosphate

I wonder if these are basically the same?

Without going thru the Math, Yes... Several Brands of aquarium antiparasitic medications use them or related chemicals.

If Memory serves me right they are organophosphates similar to pesticides used in agriculture and they are Neurotoxins..

al

nc0gnet0
04-17-2015, 04:20 PM
I am guessing the aquarium used an old batch of dylox-from what I understand, as it ages and absorbs moisture, it becomes more toxic. Organophosphates can be nasty stuff for sure, but they work.......

brewmaster15
04-17-2015, 04:28 PM
I am guessing the aquarium used an old batch of dylox-from what I understand, as it ages and absorbs moisture, it becomes more toxic. Organophosphates can be nasty stuff for sure, but they work.......
Yep.. cured those fish good. No more parasites there!:(

al

Jnotjane
04-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Looks like this has happened before
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/public-aquarium-accidentally-kills-100-reef-fish-with-fluke-treatment
Ron

yep, this is the incident I was thinking of. Happened in NM, not the East Coast.

DonMD
04-17-2015, 04:50 PM
So, will they attempt to sterilize their system? Flukes are just about the most difficult pest to eradicate, according to what I've read. If they restock without cleaning out their system, won't they be inviting the same problems?

Discus-n00b
04-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Don't most wild fish carry some parasites/flukes all the time anyway? Perhaps they need better QT at the start?

Ardan
04-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Sad, but will be interesting to see the cause. Maybe the water parameters were different in the large tank, i.e. ph, tds etc.....
Al, your memory is good, pesticide, neurotoxin (if my memory is good LOL)

Will watch for updates.

Ardan

Ardan
04-17-2015, 06:49 PM
Just for info
Dylox is in fluke tabs and Clout, I do believe if memory serves me right, so if you have old meds they should not be trusted.

Ardan

nc0gnet0
04-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Yep.. cured those fish good. No more parasites there!:(

al

Hey, the flukes are gone aren't they?

:)

rickztahone
04-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Sad stuff. I can only imagine how much meds they dumped in to that main tank.

DISCUS STU
04-18-2015, 08:19 AM
These formulas were used in AP's Fluke Tabs combined with methyl-5 benzaimidazole-2 carbamate). Which when used in almost any amount would kill all my Cory's and Brochis and that's why I stopped using it. It was also very harsh on my Discus; their color would fade for a few days.

Ryan
04-21-2015, 10:49 PM
For those following the story, they posted an update to their Facebook page which says the whole mishap was due to an incorrectly labeled bottle.

One week ago, the Texas State Aquarium experienced one of the most significant losses of marine life in our 25-year history. A total of 389 fish, including a number of our iconic species such as our male sand tiger shark, were lost during a medical treatment in which a low dose of what we thought was the drug Trichlorfon was administered to our main marine system.

Yesterday afternoon, we received preliminary lab results from chemists at Summit Environmental Technical which indicated that the drug was in fact not Trichlorfon, but instead an isomer of hydroquinone resorcinol. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) website, hydroquinone is a common chemical that has widespread application in human and industrial activities. It is used in film processing, as a stabilizer in paint and motor fuels, and in cosmetics. It is also a known haematotoxic (blood poison) and carcinogenic agent.

For further verification, we have also sent samples to the Texas Veterinary Diagnostic Medical Lab, and we will share additional information as it becomes available. Therefore, at this time, we are not prepared to release the name of the company from which we acquired the drug.

rickztahone
04-21-2015, 11:11 PM
For those following the story, they posted an update to their Facebook page which says the whole mishap was due to an incorrectly labeled bottle.

Wow. That is a major "whoopsie".

Second Hand Pat
04-21-2015, 11:27 PM
WOW, guess who will be paying for restocking. That is a pretty major mistake. What if human life had been involved. :(
Pat