PDA

View Full Version : strange mole (cancer, parasite?) on my wild discus

plecocicho
04-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
One of my wilds had for a while something that looked like torn scale, but over this year it deveolped into a strange mole/blister thing.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Strange blister on the side, ocassionally darkening and presenting its side to other discus in a slight upright position. Eating and poop normal.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
None.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
413 liters brutto, 370 liters netto, 5 years, age of fish: most five years, two 4 years (the infected +healthy), 1 three years, all adults, from 15 to 18 cm.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% (190l) per week.
6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

5 years, roots and sand, maximum 5 cm, usually less than 2 cm.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
Yes, but i mix ro and tap and acidify it with peat. less than 0,5.
8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _28 degrees celzius____

- ph __7___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _between 5 and 10.___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _50___

- RO water __50__

Its usually 50/50 mixture, sometimes 40/60. The mixture is then acidified with white peat.
9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
No, none.
10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.865048650386505

brewmaster15
04-18-2015, 07:13 PM
Its hard to tell what that is, but if it were me, I would net the fish and see if I can remove it with a tweezers and clean up the area with iodine or peroxide. Its possible there a worm encysted in there, or it could be a small abscess or tumor. Either way it sounds chronic so maybe try intervening.

hth,
al

plecocicho
04-19-2015, 05:20 AM
Well it looks lika an attached ballon. What concentration of iodine or peroxide do i use? Should he go after the treatment straight in the main tank or it is better to use a quarantine?

brewmaster15
04-19-2015, 08:56 AM
I use your standard over the counter peroxide from the pharmacy ..3%

If you can keep in a hospitol tank even better as you may need to swab that area several times over the next week depending on what you find.

Hth,al

plecocicho
04-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Problem is, that my hospital tank is empty right now and so without the functioning filter. What would be a protocol then? Wuold cattapo leaves extract and salt help (for the healing, not nitrification)?

rickztahone
04-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Problem is, that my hospital tank is empty right now and so without the functioning filter. What would be a protocol then? Wuold cattapo leaves extract and salt help (for the healing, not nitrification)?

Do you a sponge filter in the main tank that you can transfer over temporarily?

plecocicho
04-20-2015, 08:46 AM
In only have (supposebly ) cycled sponge in the fridge.

rickztahone
04-20-2015, 12:41 PM
In only have (supposebly ) cycled sponge in the fridge.

It will be better than nothing. Keep an eye on your parameters in the QT, but it is better to seperate it as Al advises. You may end up doing daily WC's anyway, so the BB may not be that important.