PDA

View Full Version : Black tail on an orange fish

aquadon2222
04-20-2015, 10:18 PM
I bought a nice 6" golden (bright orange) who is one of the hardiest fish in my tank, but when I got him, his tail was clear. Now it is completely black. He is currently paired up and guarding the eggs of his wife while she's out grocery shopping, so I'm wondering if the black is due to mating, or if its a water issue or something else? Waters great, however I don't know the hardness, could this be the culprit?

Luke S.
04-20-2015, 11:39 PM
I'm just new to discus but this year I had gotten discus what we're like that what we're in hard water and when I brought them home that went away, and my water is softer in the fives for ph. Though this may not be your answer but i'm just telling u from my personal experience, but who knows it could be anything. The other thing that I know makes those black speckles appear is a cold water temp or the temp of the water or air around the tank both being cold or changing. I have herd of people having to put insulation around the tank since its in thier basement against a wall. Good luck ��

JamesP
04-21-2015, 12:29 AM
If it just started around the time the fish was pairing off it is most likely hormones. I have several Pigeon based fish and the all show more "peppering" when spawning. Good luck with the eggs.

Jim

rickztahone
04-21-2015, 01:37 AM
I've had melons that had an all black tail that didn't as juvies. May be a maturity thing?

Solid
04-21-2015, 08:26 AM
Could be either environment, maturity or breeding mode. My Turqs get scary black when breeding (which seems like all the time), so I would bet its just that.

John_Nicholson
04-21-2015, 08:32 AM
Almost all non-PB fish will have their tail darken when they get ready to spawn. Lots of PB's already have a dark tail so you don't normally see it with them. I am sure it is nothing more then the fact that he has spawned.

-john

Banzai883
04-22-2015, 07:03 AM
what John said

Luke S.
04-22-2015, 09:32 PM
What does PB stand for?

rickztahone
04-22-2015, 09:34 PM
What does PB stand for?

Pigeon Blood

aquadon2222
04-23-2015, 12:15 AM
Almost all non-PB fish will have their tail darken when they get ready to spawn. Lots of PB's already have a dark tail so you don't normally see it with them. I am sure it is nothing more then the fact that he has spawned.

-john

Thanks...I'll try to take some before and after pics, it goes from completely clear to completely black. I thought is was due to spawning, but wanted to make sure that it wasn't a water issue.

Ryan
04-23-2015, 01:39 AM
It sounds like this is a pigeon blood based discus, right? If so, a lot of them do have tails go black at sexual maturity or during spawning. Spawning also brings out any peppering that may be there in most cases.

Chicago Discus
04-23-2015, 03:01 AM

-john

B-9....Bingo